Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Versailles, MO
Versailles, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Versailles, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Versailles, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Versailles, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an experienced and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Versailles, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Versailles, MO to secure the optimal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Versailles, MO can offer help in a variety of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you optimize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally owed
- Finding extra insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law truthfully and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate claims adjuster can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing very little about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to pay as little money as possible. We'll make sure they understand their lawful responsibility to pay you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including collecting evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make errors or neglect important details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a vulnerability.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, review medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can support your story. The more complicated your case, the more evidence is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Versailles, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you for the duration of your case, from initial case evaluation through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Versailles, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle crashes nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which caused 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which resulted in 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both states, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of traffice-related deaths. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Versailles, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road cause more significant injuries because of the higher speeds involved. Your Versailles, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Versailles, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in permanent disability. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the gravity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need experienced and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Versailles, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Versailles, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that led to your injuries. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone injures you because they were driving under the influence, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. According to the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Motor Vehicle Component
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as brakes, you can make a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to report drug tests, they would be responsible for a percentage of your compensation.
A Government Entity
Governmental entities both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Versailles, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your accident, your Versailles, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is vital for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Versailles, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic loss and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Versailles, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional well-being — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An accomplished and talented Versailles, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Versailles, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially at fault, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Versailles, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence has a right to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Versailles, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several things you should do to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Seek Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, see your general practitioner as soon as possible. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in demonstrating how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-embellish your actions. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Most injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always recommended to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Versailles, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Versailles, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Versailles, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their careers to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are entitled to. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Versailles, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.