Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Versailles, MO
Versailles, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Versailles, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Versailles, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But on too many occasions, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve clients in Versailles, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a qualified and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Versailles, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto wrecks in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which resulted in 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle accidents 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
In both states, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for more than two percent of traffic accident fatalities. The disparity speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Versailles, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist simply did not see a bicyclist. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents on the side of the road do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Versailles, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Versailles, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Versailles, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need accomplished and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Versailles, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Versailles, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the causes of your accident. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Under the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Component
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as steering systems, you can file a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue comes to light. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Versailles, MO roadways. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your accident, your Versailles, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is crucial to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Versailles, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic loss and other factors:
- The extent of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Versailles, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? An accomplished and talented Versailles, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Versailles, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 30 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is secure.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent to blame.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Versailles, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should be able to depend on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Versailles, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Versailles, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Versailles, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their profession to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Versailles, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.