Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Centralia, MO
Centralia, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Centralia, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Centralia, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation clients in Centralia, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Centralia, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in auto accidents nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which lead to 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which resulted in 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, each year they account for more than two percent of traffic accident fatalities. The deviation points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Centralia, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections are more severe because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Centralia, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Centralia, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in permanent disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Centralia, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the gravity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need skilled and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Centralia, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Centralia, MO?
Who is at fault depends on the causes of your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone injures you because they were texting and driving, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. According to the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as tires, you can file a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Centralia, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting contributed to your accident, your Centralia, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is imperative for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Centralia, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More significant injuries lead to higher medical costs, and you should receive all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Centralia, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? An experienced and knowledgeable Centralia, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Centralia, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 50 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent responsible.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Centralia, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence has a right to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
See some of the other cases we take on in Centralia, MO:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Centralia, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, infuriating and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Centralia, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their lives to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are entitled to. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Centralia, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.