Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Cape Girardeau, MO
Cape Girardeau, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Cape Girardeau, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Cape Girardeau, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Cape Girardeau, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Cape Girardeau, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle accidents in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which resulted in 351 injuries and six deaths, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which resulted in 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for more than two percent of traffice-related deaths. The deviation points to the ruinous damage people can do when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Cape Girardeau, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely did not see a bicyclist. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that "midblock" accidents do more damage because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Cape Girardeau, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Cape Girardeau, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Cape Girardeau, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need skilled and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Cape Girardeau, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Cape Girardeau, MO?
Who is liable depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. Pursuant to the legal theory of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can file a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a percentage of your compensation.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Cape Girardeau, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections contributed to your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Cape Girardeau, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Cape Girardeau, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The severity of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Cape Girardeau, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional health — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? A seasoned and talented Cape Girardeau, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Cape Girardeau, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 35 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially at fault, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Cape Girardeau, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Cape Girardeau, MO:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Cape Girardeau, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is shocking, infuriating and leads to a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Cape Girardeau, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their lives to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they get all the money they are owed. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Cape Girardeau, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.