Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Cape Girardeau, MO
Cape Girardeau, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Cape Girardeau, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Cape Girardeau, MO. Riding a bicycle is a wonderful way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We serve clients in Cape Girardeau, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Cape Girardeau, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Cape Girardeau, MO to guarantee the ideal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Cape Girardeau, MO can offer help in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you optimize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law honestly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless claims adjuster can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing very little about injury and accident law to pay as minimal money as possible. We'll ensure they understand their legal duty to reimburse you for each your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complex legal processes, including acquiring evidence, interviewing people who saw the accident, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are novice with injury claims can make mistakes or overlook important details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a disadvantage.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle ensuring your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, review medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can corroborate your story. The more complicated your case, the more evidence is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to bring a legal action and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Cape Girardeau, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from initial case review through a jury verdict.
Cape Girardeau, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in traffic crashes across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Across the U.S., highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for over two percent of traffice-related fatalities. The disparity speaks to the horrible damage people can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Cape Girardeau, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections cause more significant injuries because of the higher speeds involved. Your Cape Girardeau, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Cape Girardeau, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure the best possible compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Cape Girardeau, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Cape Girardeau, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the specifics of your case. Each injury is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone injures you because they were texting and driving, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Following the legal theory of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can seek a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they fail to, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Cape Girardeau, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections contributed to your accident, your Cape Girardeau, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who cause an accident while driving within the scope of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Cape Girardeau, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial loss and other factors:
- The severity of your injuries — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Cape Girardeau, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist spasm when you try to play the guitar? An accomplished and knowledgeable Cape Girardeau, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Cape Girardeau, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 30 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises may have up to $5 million in coverage. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially liable, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Cape Girardeau, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that large corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Cape Girardeau, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and confusing, but there are several things you should do to help you get better physically and maximize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Treatment
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, make an appointment with your primary care physician as soon as possible. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in proving how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to assign fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't admit fault or over-embellish your actions. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be a lowball offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Many injury attorneys offer free consultations, so it's always recommended to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Cape Girardeau, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Cape Girardeau, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, infuriating and leads to a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Cape Girardeau, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their abilities to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Cape Girardeau, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.