Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Sedalia, MO
Sedalia, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Sedalia, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Sedalia, MO. Riding a bicycle is a wonderful way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We offer expert legal representation clients in Sedalia, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Sedalia, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Sedalia, MO to guarantee the ideal result. A personal injury lawyer in Sedalia, MO can offer help in a variety of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law fairly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance adjuster can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing very little about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to provide as little money as feasible. We'll ensure they understand their legal responsibility to pay you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complex legal processes, including acquiring evidence, interviewing people who saw the accident, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are novice with injury claims can make errors or miss important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a weakness.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle ensuring your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, examine medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can validate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to contest against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Sedalia, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you for the duration of your case, from initial case review through a jury or bench trial.
Sedalia, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in auto crashes nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which caused 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both states, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for over two percent of motor vehicle deaths. The deviation speaks to the terrible destruction motorists can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Sedalia, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist merely did not see a bicyclist. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road are more severe because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Sedalia, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Sedalia, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in lifelong consequences. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need knowledgeable and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Sedalia, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Sedalia, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the specifics of your case. Each case is different, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as an operator of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Pursuant to the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your result was because of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than regulations allow, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Municipal entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Sedalia, MO roadways. If a hazard such as cracked pavement played a part in your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Sedalia, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is imperative to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Sedalia, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic loss and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical expenses, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Sedalia, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An experienced and skilled Sedalia, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Sedalia, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. So if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Sedalia, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should be able to depend on the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Sedalia, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Attention
If you're able to, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after law enforcement tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, see your primary care physician as soon as you can. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to assign fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't confess fault or over-explain your actions. Be truthful, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't offer any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. The majority of injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always advisable to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Sedalia, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Sedalia, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, painful and leads to a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Sedalia, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their abilities to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are owed. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Sedalia, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.