Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Sedalia, MO
Sedalia, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Sedalia, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Sedalia, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But too frequently, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Sedalia, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Sedalia, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic crashes across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both states, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for over two percent of traffic accident fatalities. The deviation speaks to the terrible destruction people can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Sedalia, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections cause more significant injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Sedalia, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Sedalia, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Sedalia, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need experienced and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Sedalia, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Sedalia, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your injuries. Each injury is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone injures you because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Pursuant to the legal theory of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Motor Vehicle Component
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as tires, you can make a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they don't, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Sedalia, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole caused your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Sedalia, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is necessary to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Sedalia, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- The extent of your injuries — More significant injuries lead to higher medical costs, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Sedalia, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist spasm when you try to play the guitar? A seasoned and skilled Sedalia, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a construction worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Sedalia, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 50 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies usually have much more. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially liable, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Sedalia, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that large corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should be able to lean on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
See some of the other cases we take on in Sedalia, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Sedalia, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Sedalia, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their practice to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get all the money they are owed. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Sedalia, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.