Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Ballwin, MO
Ballwin, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Ballwin, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Ballwin, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But too frequently, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation clients in Ballwin, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Ballwin, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle accidents 1,995 people were injured and 28 people passed away.
Across the U.S., urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for over two percent of traffice-related deaths. The discrepancy points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Ballwin, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents on the side of the road do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Ballwin, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Ballwin, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. We've helped secure maximum compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need skilled and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Ballwin, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Ballwin, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the causes of your accident. Each injury is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone hits you because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Under the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Parts
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls if a safety hazard is found. If they fail to, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Municipal entities both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Ballwin, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as uneven pavement caused your injuries, your Ballwin, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Ballwin, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The severity of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Ballwin, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An accomplished and talented Ballwin, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Ballwin, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 30 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative fault, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Ballwin, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Ballwin, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Ballwin, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Ballwin, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their lives to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they deserve. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Ballwin, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.