Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Ballwin, MO
Ballwin, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Ballwin, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Ballwin, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Ballwin, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a qualified and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Ballwin, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Ballwin, MO to ensure the ideal result. A personal injury lawyer in Ballwin, MO can offer help in a range of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages exceed the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law honestly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance representative can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing very little about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to offer as little money as feasible. We'll guarantee they understand their legal obligation to compensate you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complex legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or neglect important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a vulnerability.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, analyze medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can corroborate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more evidence is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to locate the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and bring them to trial if necessary.
As experienced Ballwin, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you throughout your case, from our first case evaluation through a jury verdict.
Ballwin, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle crashes nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which lead to 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for over two percent of traffice-related fatalities. The discrepancy points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Ballwin, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents are more severe because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Ballwin, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Ballwin, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need skilled and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Ballwin, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Ballwin, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your injuries. Each accident is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as the driver of any passenger car, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone injures you because they were driving drunk, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to carry out drug tests, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Entity
Municipal entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Ballwin, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your injuries, your Ballwin, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is vital for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Ballwin, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Ballwin, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? An accomplished and skilled Ballwin, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Ballwin, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Ballwin, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has has a right to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Ballwin, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, see your primary care physician as soon as possible. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in proving how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to assign fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't admit fault or over-embellish what happened. Be truthful, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you become aware of the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Many injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always advisable to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Ballwin, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Ballwin, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Ballwin, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their careers to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get all the money they deserve. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Ballwin, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.