Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hermann, MO
Hermann, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Hermann, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hermann, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Hermann, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Hermann, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Hermann, MO to guarantee the optimal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Hermann, MO can offer help in a range of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you optimize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages exceed the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law fairly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance adjuster can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do anything they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing very little about injury and accident law to pay as few money as achievable. We'll ensure they understand their lawful responsibility to pay you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including collecting evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make mistakes or miss critical details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a weakness.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more complex to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, examine medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can corroborate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to contest against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Hermann, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from our first case evaluation through a jury verdict.
Hermann, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in traffic accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle accidents 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, each year they account for more than twice that in traffic accident fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to the ruinous damage motorists can do when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Hermann, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Hermann, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Hermann, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need knowledgeable and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Hermann, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Hermann, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the causes of your accident. Each case is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone injures you because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. According to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Motor Vehicle Parts
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as headlights, you can seek a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to report drug tests, they would be responsible for a portion of your compensation.
A Government Entity
Municipal entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Hermann, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as cracked pavement caused your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Hermann, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Hermann, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More significant injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Hermann, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An accomplished and talented Hermann, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Hermann, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 30 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent responsible.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Hermann, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence has a right to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Hermann, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to help you recover physically and maximize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Treatment
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, make an appointment with your primary care physician as soon as you can. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to obtain compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-explain your actions. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. The majority of injury attorneys offer free consultations, so it's always recommended to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Hermann, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hermann, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Hermann, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their careers to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they deserve. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Hermann, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.