Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Moberly, MO
Moberly, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Moberly, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Moberly, MO. Riding a bicycle is a wonderful way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Moberly, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an experienced and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Moberly, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle accidents nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which resulted in 351 injuries and six deaths, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle accidents 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
In both states, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers and commuters, annually they account for over twice that in traffic accident fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Moberly, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist just did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that "midblock" accidents do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Moberly, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Moberly, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need talented and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Moberly, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Moberly, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the causes of your accident. Each case is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. Under the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be responsible for a portion of your financial recovery.
A Government Entity
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Moberly, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections caused your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Moberly, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Moberly, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, and you should receive all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Moberly, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional hardships caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An experienced and talented Moberly, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Moberly, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 35 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies usually have much more. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially liable, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Moberly, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Moberly, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Moberly, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Moberly, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their careers to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they deserve. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Moberly, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.