Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Moberly, MO
Moberly, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Moberly, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Moberly, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too frequently, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in Moberly, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an experienced and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Moberly, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Moberly, MO to guarantee the best possible outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Moberly, MO can give support in a multitude of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding extra insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law truthfully and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate claims adjuster can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid accepting that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing very little about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to provide as little money as feasible. We'll make sure they understand their lawful duty to pay you for each your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including collecting evidence, deposing witnesses, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make errors or neglect critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a weakness.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, review medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can support your story. The greater complicated your case, the more evidence is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Moberly, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from our first case evaluation through a jury verdict.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Moberly, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in auto crashes across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which caused 351 injuries and six deaths, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over two percent of motor vehicle fatalities. The deviation speaks to the terrible destruction drivers can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Moberly, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents on the side of the road do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Moberly, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Moberly, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Moberly, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need talented and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Moberly, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Moberly, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your injuries. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and make each of them pay you based on how much of the accident was their fault. You may be able to seek compensation from:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were driving under the influence, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Pursuant to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Car Component
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as brakes, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than regulations allow, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Moberly, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as cracked pavement contributed to your accident, your Moberly, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Moberly, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Moberly, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist lock when you try to play the guitar? An experienced and talented Moberly, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you need to be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Moberly, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially liable, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Moberly, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence has a right to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Moberly, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several steps you should take to help you get better physically and maximize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Attention
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after law enforcement tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, see your general practitioner as soon as possible. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in demonstrating how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't confess fault or over-embellish what happened. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't offer any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be a lowball offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. Many injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always worth it to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Moberly, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Moberly, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Moberly, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their profession to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Moberly, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.