Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wildwood, MO
Wildwood, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wildwood, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wildwood, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation clients in Wildwood, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an experienced and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Wildwood, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Wildwood, MO to guarantee the ideal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Wildwood, MO can give support in a range of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are legally owed
- Finding extra insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law fairly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance adjuster can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing scant about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to offer as minimal money as achievable. We'll guarantee they understand their lawful duty to reimburse you for every single one of your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are novice with injury claims can make mistakes or miss critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a weakness.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more complex to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, review medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can corroborate your story. The more complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and bring them to trial if necessary.
As experienced Wildwood, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you for the duration of your case, from our first case evaluation through a jury verdict.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Wildwood, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto crashes nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of traffice-related fatalities. The discrepancy points to the ruinous damage drivers can do when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Wildwood, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist just was not paying attention. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that "midblock" accidents do more damage because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Wildwood, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Wildwood, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need talented and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Wildwood, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Wildwood, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that led to your injuries. Each injury is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them pay you based on how much of the accident was their fault. You may be able to seek compensation from:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone hits you because they were driving under the influence, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Following the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a state statute. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Parts
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as headlights, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety hazard is found. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform drug tests, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Wildwood, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting caused your injuries, your Wildwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is necessary to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Wildwood, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Wildwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? A seasoned and skilled Wildwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Wildwood, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 50 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent liable.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Wildwood, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Wildwood, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Treatment
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, see your primary care physician in the days afterward. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to obtain compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing how the other drive caused your injuries. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't admit fault or over-embellish what happened. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you become aware of the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. Most injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always worth it to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Wildwood, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wildwood, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and leads to a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Wildwood, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their careers to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Wildwood, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.