Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wildwood, MO
Wildwood, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wildwood, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wildwood, MO. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We serve clients in Wildwood, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Wildwood, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic crashes in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which caused 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people passed away.
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for over two percent of motor vehicle fatalities. The disparity speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Wildwood, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections cause more serious injuries because of the higher speeds involved. Your Wildwood, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Wildwood, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure the best possible financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need knowledgeable and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Wildwood, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Wildwood, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that caused your accident. Each accident is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. According to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as tires, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety hazard arises. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Governmental entities both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Wildwood, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting contributed to your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Wildwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is vital for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Wildwood, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Wildwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? A seasoned and talented Wildwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a construction worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Wildwood, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Wildwood, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Wildwood, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wildwood, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, painful and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Wildwood, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their abilities to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover all the money they deserve. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Wildwood, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.