Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fenton, MO
Fenton, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Fenton, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fenton, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We serve clients in Fenton, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an accomplished and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Fenton, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle wrecks in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which caused 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle collisions 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Across the U.S., highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, annually they account for more than two percent of traffic accident fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Fenton, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road cause more serious injuries because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Fenton, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Fenton, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need accomplished and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Fenton, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is At Fault for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Fenton, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that led to your injuries. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. According to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a portion of your compensation.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Fenton, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your accident, your Fenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Fenton, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Fenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful to sleep in certain positions? A seasoned and knowledgeable Fenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Fenton, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 30 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is secure.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Fenton, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should be able to depend on the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Fenton, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Fenton, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Fenton, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their lives to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Fenton, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.