Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Mehlville, MO
Mehlville, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Mehlville, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Mehlville, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We serve clients in Mehlville, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an experienced and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Mehlville, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in traffic accidents in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which lead to 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Nationawide, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for more than twice that in motor vehicle fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Mehlville, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Mehlville, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Mehlville, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Mehlville, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need talented and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Mehlville, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Mehlville, MO?
Who is at fault depends on the causes of your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Following the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a state statute. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car Parts
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls if a safety hazard is found. If they fail to, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to report drug tests, they would be responsible for a portion of your compensation.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Mehlville, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as cracked pavement contributed to your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Mehlville, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is necessary to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while driving within the scope of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, according to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Mehlville, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More significant injuries lead to higher medical costs, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Mehlville, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful to sleep in certain positions? A seasoned and skilled Mehlville, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Mehlville, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Mehlville, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should be able to depend on the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Mehlville, MO:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Mehlville, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, painful and leads to a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Mehlville, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their profession to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are entitled to. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Mehlville, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.