Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Mehlville, MO
Mehlville, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Mehlville, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Mehlville, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Mehlville, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an accomplished and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Mehlville, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Mehlville, MO to secure the best possible result. A personal injury lawyer in Mehlville, MO can give support in a range of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you optimize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally owed
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages exceed the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law honestly and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance adjuster can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do anything they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing limited about injury and accident law to pay as few money as achievable. We'll make sure they understand their legal duty to pay you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make errors or neglect critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a disadvantage.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle ensuring your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, examine medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can support your story. The more complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to locate the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to file a lawsuit and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Mehlville, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you throughout your case, from our first consultation through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Mehlville, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle collisions 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Nationawide, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Almost a third of bike crashes happen at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for over two percent of traffic accident deaths. The deviation points to the terrible damage people can do when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Mehlville, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents on the side of the road cause more significant injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Mehlville, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Mehlville, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Mehlville, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need accomplished and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Mehlville, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Mehlville, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the the different aspects that led to your accident. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were driving under the influence, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. Following the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Parts
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as tires, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than regulations allow, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Mehlville, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections contributed to your accident, your Mehlville, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who cause an accident while driving within the scope of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Mehlville, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Mehlville, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional hardships caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist spasm when you try to play the guitar? A seasoned and talented Mehlville, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Mehlville, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is secure.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially at fault, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Mehlville, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should be able to lean on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Mehlville, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Seek Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, schedule a visit to your general practitioner in the days afterward. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in proving how the other drive caused your injuries. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-embellish what happened. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be a lowball offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. The majority of injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always recommended to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Mehlville, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Mehlville, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Mehlville, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their practice to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they deserve. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Mehlville, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.