Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Owensville, MO
Owensville, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Owensville, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Owensville, MO. Riding a bicycle is a wonderful way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But on too many occasions, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in Owensville, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Owensville, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in motor vehicle accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which lead to 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes happen at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for over two percent of motor vehicle deaths. The discrepancy speaks to the ruinous destruction drivers can do when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Owensville, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Owensville, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Owensville, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in lifelong consequences. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Owensville, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need talented and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Owensville, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Owensville, MO?
Who is at fault depends on the causes of your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone injures you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. According to the legal theory of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety hazard arises. If they fail to, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to carry out drug tests, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Owensville, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your injuries, your Owensville, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is necessary to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Owensville, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The scope of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to more money than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Owensville, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional well-being — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An accomplished and skilled Owensville, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Owensville, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 50 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is secure.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises may have up to $5 million in coverage. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative fault, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent liable.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Owensville, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should be able to depend on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Owensville, MO:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Owensville, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Owensville, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their practice to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get all the money they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Owensville, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.