Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Bourbon, MO
Bourbon, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Bourbon, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Bourbon, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Bourbon, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Bourbon, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Bourbon, MO to secure the optimal result. A personal injury lawyer in Bourbon, MO can give support in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding extra insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law fairly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance representative can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing very little about injury and accident law to provide as minimal money as possible. We'll make sure they understand their lawful responsibility to compensate you for each your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including acquiring evidence, deposing witnesses, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make errors or overlook important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a weakness.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more complex to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, examine medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can support your story. The greater complicated your case, the more evidence is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Bourbon, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you for the duration of your case, from initial case review through a jury verdict.
Bourbon, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in motor vehicle wrecks in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which lead to 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Almost a third of bike crashes happen at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, each year they account for over twice that in traffic accident fatalities. The deviation speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Bourbon, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist simply did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that "midblock" accidents do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Bourbon, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Bourbon, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need knowledgeable and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Bourbon, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Bourbon, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that caused your accident. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone injures you because they were texting and driving, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Under the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Component
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as headlights, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to carry out drug tests, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Bourbon, MO roadways. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your injuries, your Bourbon, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Bourbon, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial loss and other factors:
- The severity of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Bourbon, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? An accomplished and talented Bourbon, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Bourbon, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially at fault, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Bourbon, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has has a right to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Bourbon, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and confusing, but there are several things you should do to help you heal physically and maximize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Get Medical Attention
If you can, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after law enforcement tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, schedule a visit to your primary care physician in the days afterward. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't admit fault or over-explain your actions. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't offer any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be a lowball offer. They want you to settle before you become aware of the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. Many injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always advisable to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
See some of the other cases we take on in Bourbon, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Bourbon, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is shocking, infuriating and creates a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Bourbon, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their abilities to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are entitled to. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Bourbon, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.