Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Herculaneum, MO
Herculaneum, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Herculaneum, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Herculaneum, MO. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in Herculaneum, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Herculaneum, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which lead to 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle accidents 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
In both Missouri and Illinois, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, annually they account for more than twice that in motor vehicle deaths. The disparity speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Herculaneum, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist just was not paying attention. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections cause more severe injuries because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Herculaneum, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Herculaneum, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need experienced and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Herculaneum, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Herculaneum, MO?
Who is at fault depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your injuries. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and make each of them reimburse you based on how much of the accident was their fault. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone injures you because they were driving under the influence, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Under the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Motor Vehicle Parts
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as brakes, you can make a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a percentage of your compensation.
A Government Entity
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Herculaneum, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections contributed to your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Herculaneum, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Herculaneum, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Herculaneum, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist spasm when you try to play the guitar? An experienced and skilled Herculaneum, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Herculaneum, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 25 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially to blame, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Herculaneum, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has should be able to depend on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Herculaneum, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Herculaneum, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Herculaneum, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their abilities to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they get all the money they are entitled to. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Herculaneum, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.