Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Imperial, MO
Imperial, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Imperial, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Imperial, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Imperial, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a qualified and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Imperial, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Imperial, MO to guarantee the best possible result. A personal injury lawyer in Imperial, MO can give support in a multitude of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law truthfully and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless claims adjuster can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing scant about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to offer as little money as feasible. We'll guarantee they understand their lawful obligation to pay you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing people who saw the accident, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or miss critical details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a vulnerability.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, analyze medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can support your story. The more complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Imperial, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you for the duration of your case, from initial case evaluation through a jury or bench trial.
Imperial, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in auto crashes in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which caused 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
In both Missouri and Illinois, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, each year they account for more than twice that in motor vehicle fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to the horrible destruction motorists can do when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Imperial, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents are more severe because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Imperial, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Imperial, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need knowledgeable and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Imperial, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Imperial, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that led to your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is to blame, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone injures you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. Following the legal theory of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Car Parts
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as headlights, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue is found. If they don't, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Agency
Municipal entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Imperial, MO roadways. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Imperial, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is necessary for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Imperial, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Imperial, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? An experienced and knowledgeable Imperial, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you need to be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Imperial, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies usually have much more. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative fault, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Imperial, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence has a right to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Imperial, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several things you should do to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Attention
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, see your primary care physician in the days afterward. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to get compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't admit fault or over-explain your actions. Be honest, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them at a later time.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be a lowball offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Many injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always worth it to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Imperial, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Imperial, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Imperial, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their profession to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are entitled to. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Imperial, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.