Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Mexico, MO
Mexico, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Mexico, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Mexico, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But on too many occasions, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in Mexico, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Mexico, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle wrecks across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which resulted in 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which resulted in 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for more than twice that in motor vehicle deaths. The deviation speaks to the terrible destruction drivers can do when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Mexico, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road are more severe because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Mexico, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Mexico, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need talented and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Mexico, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Mexico, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the specifics of your case. Each accident is different, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a seasoned bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them compensate you based on how much of the accident was their fault. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Following the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Motor Vehicle Parts
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as steering systems, you can seek a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue is found. If they fail to, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Mexico, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections contributed to your injuries, your Mexico, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Mexico, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Mexico, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist lock when you try to play the guitar? A seasoned and talented Mexico, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Mexico, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 30 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Mexico, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence has a right to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
See some of the other cases we take on in Mexico, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Mexico, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Mexico, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their profession to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover all the money they deserve. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Mexico, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.