Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hazelwood, MO
Hazelwood, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Hazelwood, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hazelwood, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Hazelwood, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Hazelwood, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Hazelwood, MO to secure the optimal result. A personal injury lawyer in Hazelwood, MO can offer help in a variety of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages exceed the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law fairly and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance representative can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often count on claimants knowing limited about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to provide as little money as feasible. We'll make sure they understand their lawful duty to pay you for each your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including acquiring evidence, deposing people who saw the accident, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make errors or overlook critical details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a vulnerability.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle ensuring your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, examine medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can support your story. The more complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to contest against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Hazelwood, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from our first consultation through a jury verdict.
Hazelwood, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle crashes across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which lead to 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Almost a third of bike crashes happen at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over two percent of traffice-related fatalities. The discrepancy points to the horrible damage drivers can do when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Hazelwood, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Hazelwood, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Hazelwood, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Hazelwood, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need knowledgeable and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Hazelwood, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Hazelwood, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the the different aspects that caused your injuries. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as the driver of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone injures you because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. Following the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Component
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety issue arises. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Municipal entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Hazelwood, MO roadways. If a hazard such as cracked pavement caused your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Hazelwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Hazelwood, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Hazelwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional well-being — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Are you afraid to get back on your bike? An experienced and talented Hazelwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a construction worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Hazelwood, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Hazelwood, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should be able to lean on the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Hazelwood, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Attention
If you can, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, make an appointment with your primary care physician in the days afterward. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to obtain compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-embellish what happened. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident location, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Many injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always advisable to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Hazelwood, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hazelwood, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is shocking, infuriating and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Hazelwood, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their careers to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Hazelwood, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.