Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hazelwood, MO
Hazelwood, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Hazelwood, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hazelwood, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But too frequently, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We serve clients in Hazelwood, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Hazelwood, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in motor vehicle crashes in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which resulted in 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Over three-tenths of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over twice that in traffice-related deaths. The disparity points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Hazelwood, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist just did not see a bicyclist. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Hazelwood, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Hazelwood, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in lifelong consequences. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Hazelwood, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Hazelwood, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Hazelwood, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the causes of your accident. Each accident is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. According to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety issue is found. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform drug tests, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Hazelwood, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as uneven pavement contributed to your injuries, your Hazelwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Hazelwood, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical costs, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Hazelwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional health — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? An experienced and talented Hazelwood, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Hazelwood, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 35 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if it is determined that your economic and noneconomic damages come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Hazelwood, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Hazelwood, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Hazelwood, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Hazelwood, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their lives to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they get all the money they deserve. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Hazelwood, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.