Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Washington, MO
Washington, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Washington, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Washington, MO. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Washington, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an accomplished and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Washington, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic crashes in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which caused 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, annually they account for over two percent of traffic accident deaths. The discrepancy speaks to the ruinous destruction motorists can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Washington, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents do more damage because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Washington, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Washington, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need knowledgeable and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Washington, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Washington, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone injures you because they were driving under the influence, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Pursuant to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety hazard is found. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Washington, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections caused your accident, your Washington, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is imperative to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Washington, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial damages and other factors:
- The scope of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Washington, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? A seasoned and skilled Washington, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Washington, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies usually have much more. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent to blame.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Washington, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should be able to depend on the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
See some of the other cases we take on in Washington, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Washington, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Washington, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their careers to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are owed. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Washington, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.