Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Pevely, MO
Pevely, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Pevely, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Pevely, MO. Riding a bicycle is a wonderful way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We offer expert legal representation clients in Pevely, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Pevely, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Pevely, MO to ensure the ideal result. A personal injury lawyer in Pevely, MO can offer help in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are legally entitled to
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law truthfully and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate claims adjuster can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing scant about injury and accident law to pay as few money as feasible. We'll make sure they understand their lawful obligation to compensate you for each your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including acquiring evidence, deposing witnesses, analyzing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are novice with injury claims can make mistakes or miss critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a weakness.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interview witnesses, examine medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can corroborate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned accident attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Pevely, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from our first consultation through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Pevely, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic wrecks in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which lead to 351 injuries and six deaths, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which lead to 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes occur at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for over two percent of motor vehicle fatalities. The disparity points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Pevely, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist simply did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road are more severe because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Pevely, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Pevely, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. We've helped secure maximum compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need experienced and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Pevely, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Pevely, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that led to your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But have the same right to the road as the driver of any passenger car, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were driving under the influence, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Following the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Parts
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as steering systems, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Pevely, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as cracked pavement contributed to your accident, your Pevely, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Pevely, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial loss and other factors:
- The severity of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Pevely, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Are you afraid to get back on your bike? An accomplished and talented Pevely, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Pevely, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies usually have much more. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent to blame.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Pevely, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence has a right to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Pevely, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several things you should do to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Attention
If you can, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, go to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, schedule a visit to your general practitioner in the days afterward. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to get compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't confess fault or over-explain your actions. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them at a later time.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Many injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always advisable to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Pevely, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Pevely, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Pevely, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their abilities to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they get all the money they are owed. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Pevely, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.