Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Pevely, MO
Pevely, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Pevely, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Pevely, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We offer expert legal representation clients in Pevely, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an experienced and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Pevely, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle accidents in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Almost a third of bike crashes happen at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for over two percent of traffic accident fatalities. The deviation speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Pevely, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically causes bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that "midblock" accidents cause more serious injuries because of the higher speeds involved. Your Pevely, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Pevely, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in lifelong consequences. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need skilled and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Pevely, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Pevely, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone hits you because they were driving under the influence, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Component
If your result was because of a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Pevely, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your accident, your Pevely, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Pevely, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Pevely, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful to sleep in certain positions? A seasoned and talented Pevely, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Pevely, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent to blame.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Pevely, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your damages. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Pevely, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Pevely, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is shocking, painful and leads to a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Pevely, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their profession to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they are entitled to. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Pevely, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.