Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Sullivan, MO
Sullivan, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Sullivan, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Sullivan, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too frequently, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Sullivan, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an experienced and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Sullivan, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Sullivan, MO to ensure the best possible result. A personal injury lawyer in Sullivan, MO can offer help in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are legally owed
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law truthfully and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance representative can feel frustrating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do anything they can to avoid accepting that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing scant about injury and accident law to pay as few money as achievable. We'll make sure they understand their legal obligation to compensate you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including acquiring evidence, interviewing people who saw the accident, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or neglect important steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a vulnerability.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, examine medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can corroborate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if liability isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to file a lawsuit and bring them to trial if necessary.
As experienced Sullivan, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can fight for you throughout your case, from initial case review through a jury verdict.
Sullivan, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle collisions 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
Across the U.S., urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, each year they account for over two percent of traffic accident deaths. The disparity points to the ruinous damage motorists can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Sullivan, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist simply did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Sullivan, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Sullivan, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in permanent disability. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need accomplished and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Sullivan, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Sullivan, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the causes of your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as an operator of any other vehicle, and in the event of an accident the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone injures you because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. Under the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a state statute. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to report drug tests, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Sullivan, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Sullivan, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while driving within the scope of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Sullivan, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that determine what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The severity of your injuries — More significant injuries lead to higher medical expenses, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Sullivan, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional hardships caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An experienced and skilled Sullivan, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Sullivan, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 35 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is not put in jeopardy.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Sullivan, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. Our practice is founded on the idea that everyone has should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Sullivan, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Attention
If you're able to, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, see your primary care physician as soon as possible. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in demonstrating how the other drive caused the accident. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-explain your actions. Be honest, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't offer any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. The majority of injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always advisable to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Sullivan, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Sullivan, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Sullivan, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their careers to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Sullivan, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case review.