Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Sullivan, MO
Sullivan, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Sullivan, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Sullivan, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too frequently, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Sullivan, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an accomplished and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Sullivan, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in auto wrecks nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which caused 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
Across the U.S., urban areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for over twice that in traffic accident fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to the horrible destruction drivers can do when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Sullivan, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Sullivan, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Sullivan, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Sullivan, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need accomplished and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Sullivan, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Sullivan, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that caused your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them compensate you based on how much of the accident was their fault. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Following the legal theory of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car Parts
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as headlights, you can seek a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue is found. If they don't, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company required their driver to work more hours than the law permits, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Sullivan, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your injuries, your Sullivan, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Sullivan, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The severity of your injuries — More serious injuries lead to higher medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Sullivan, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental well-being — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An accomplished and skilled Sullivan, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Sullivan, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is secure.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different amounts of coverage. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative fault, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially at fault, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Sullivan, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that large corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should be able to depend on the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Sullivan, MO:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Sullivan, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Sullivan, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their abilities to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they are entitled to. You only pay if we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Sullivan, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.