Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Warrenton, MO
Warrenton, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Warrenton, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Warrenton, MO. Riding a bicycle can inspire a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We offer expert legal representation clients in Warrenton, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a qualified and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Warrenton, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic accidents in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Almost a third of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of motor vehicle deaths. The deviation points to the ruinous damage motorists can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Warrenton, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist simply did not see a bicyclist. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Warrenton, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Warrenton, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Warrenton, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Warrenton, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is At Fault for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Warrenton, MO?
Who is liable depends on the causes of your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. You may be able to seek compensation from:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone hits you because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as yielding to bicyclist when turning. Pursuant to the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as brakes, you can file a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue comes to light. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Warrenton, MO roadways. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting contributed to your injuries, your Warrenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so an attorney is imperative to get maximum compensation.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Warrenton, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Warrenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental well-being — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An experienced and talented Warrenton, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you need to be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Warrenton, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 50 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is secure.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Warrenton, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should be able to lean on the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Warrenton, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Warrenton, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, infuriating and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Warrenton, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their abilities to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are entitled to. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Warrenton, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.