Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Lemay, MO
Lemay, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Lemay, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Lemay, MO. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in Lemay, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an experienced and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Lemay, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in traffic wrecks across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which resulted in 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which resulted in 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers and commuters, each year they account for over two percent of traffice-related deaths. The deviation speaks to the terrible damage motorists can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Lemay, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist merely did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections are more severe because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Lemay, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform an exhaustive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Lemay, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Lemay, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Lemay, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Lemay, MO?
Who is liable depends on the the different aspects that led to your injuries. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Pursuant to the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Component
If your accident was caused by a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a portion of your financial recovery.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Lemay, MO roadways. If a hazard such as cracked pavement contributed to your accident, your Lemay, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Lemay, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The severity of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Lemay, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An accomplished and talented Lemay, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained a back injury in a bicycle accident in Lemay, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 50 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Lemay, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should be able to lean on the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Lemay, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Lemay, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Lemay, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their abilities to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are owed. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Lemay, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.