Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wright City, MO
Wright City, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wright City, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wright City, MO. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But too often, other motorists don't respect the safety of bicyclists and end up causing an accident. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation the injured and vulnerable in Wright City, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Wright City, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in traffic wrecks in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which lead to 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Almost a third of bike crashes happen at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, annually they account for over twice that in motor vehicle deaths. The deviation points to the ruinous damage people can do when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Wright City, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that "midblock" accidents cause more significant injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Wright City, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Wright City, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Wright City, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Wright City, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Wright City, MO?
Who is liable depends on the specifics of your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and make each of them compensate you based on how much of the accident was their fault. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as the driver of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how drivers are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Under the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was the result of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can make a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety hazard comes to light. If they fail to, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform drug tests, they would be responsible for a portion of your financial recovery.
A Government Entity
Municipal entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Wright City, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as uneven pavement caused your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Wright City, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is imperative for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Wright City, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are a variety of factors that dictate what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to more money than a a visit or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Wright City, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Are you afraid to get back on your bike? An accomplished and skilled Wright City, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you need to be compensated for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Wright City, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 35 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative fault, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be lowered by $30,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Wright City, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has has a right to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Wright City, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wright City, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is confusing, infuriating and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Wright City, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their practice to fighting for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are owed. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Wright City, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.