Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wright City, MO
Wright City, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wright City, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wright City, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We serve clients in Wright City, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a qualified and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Wright City, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Wright City, MO to secure the optimal result. A personal injury lawyer in Wright City, MO can offer help in a range of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are legally owed
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law fairly and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance representative can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing scant about injury and accident law to offer as minimal money as achievable. We'll guarantee they understand their legal obligation to compensate you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, analyzing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are unfamiliar with injury claims can make mistakes or miss important details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a disadvantage.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, examine medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can validate your story. The more complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Experienced bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Wright City, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from our first case review through a jury or bench trial.
Wright City, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in motor vehicle accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people passed away.
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, annually they account for more than twice that in motor vehicle fatalities. The deviation speaks to the ruinous damage motorists can cause when they don't pay attention on the road, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Wright City, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver error or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections are more severe because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Wright City, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Wright City, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in permanent consequences. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Wright City, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need accomplished and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Wright City, MO area, we will get you compensation to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Wright City, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the causes of your accident. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as the driver of any other vehicle, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. According to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as brakes, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue is found. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Municipal entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Wright City, MO roadways. If a hazard such as uneven pavement played a part in your accident, your Wright City, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is vital for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
What Are My Wright City, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
There are numerous factors that dictate what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Wright City, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental health — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? A seasoned and talented Wright City, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Wright City, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises may have up to $5 million in coverage. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent liable.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Wright City, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Wright City, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary and confusing, but there are several things you should do to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Get Medical Attention
If you can, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after law enforcement tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, see your primary care physician in the days afterward. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing how the other drive caused your injuries. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-explain what happened. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident location, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you become aware of the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. Most injury attorneys offer free consultations, so it's always advisable to consult with a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Wright City, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wright City, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Wright City, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their profession to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get all the money they are owed. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Wright City, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.