Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in High Ridge, MO
High Ridge, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | High Ridge, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in High Ridge, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in High Ridge, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the High Ridge, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which resulted in 351 injuries and six deaths, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which caused 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Almost a third of bike crashes happen at night, when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than twice that in traffic accident fatalities. The discrepancy speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in High Ridge, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist just did not see a bicyclist. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections cause more significant injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your High Ridge, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from High Ridge, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure the best possible financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need accomplished and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the High Ridge, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is Liable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in High Ridge, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the the different aspects that surrounds your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Following the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Parts
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as tires, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to carry out drug tests, they would be responsible for a portion of your financial recovery.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our High Ridge, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your accident, your High Ridge, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My High Ridge, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote High Ridge, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental health — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Does your wrist lock when you try to play the guitar? An accomplished and talented High Ridge, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in High Ridge, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been severely compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is secure.
- Policy limits — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies usually have much more. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent liable.
At Halvorsen Klote, our High Ridge, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in High Ridge, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in High Ridge, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is confusing, painful and creates a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our High Ridge, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their lives to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they deserve. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in High Ridge, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.