Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Potosi, MO
Potosi, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Potosi, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Potosi, MO. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to the injured and vulnerable in Potosi, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Potosi, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic accidents in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which caused 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both states, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for over twice that in motor vehicle fatalities. The disparity speaks to the terrible destruction drivers can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Potosi, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that "midblock" accidents are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Potosi, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Potosi, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Potosi, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because of the gravity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need accomplished and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to take on your case and fight to make sure the liable parties are held accountable and you are fairly compensated. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Potosi, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Potosi, MO?
Who is liable depends on the the different aspects that caused your injuries. Each injury is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were texting and driving, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as not driving or parking in a bike lane. Pursuant to the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a state statute. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Motor Vehicle Component
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as brakes, you can file a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to report drug tests, they would be responsible for a percentage of your compensation.
A Government Entity
Governmental entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Potosi, MO roadways. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting contributed to your injuries, your Potosi, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so an attorney is vital for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Potosi, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Potosi, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Are you afraid to get back on your bike? An experienced and knowledgeable Potosi, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Potosi, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 50 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A knowledgeable lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is referred to as a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Potosi, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has should be able to depend on the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
See some of the other cases we take on in Potosi, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Potosi, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and leads to a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Potosi, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their profession to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover all the money they are owed. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Potosi, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.