Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Potosi, MO
Potosi, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Potosi, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Potosi, MO. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Potosi, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything unless we win your claim. Speak directly to an experienced and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Potosi, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Potosi, MO to secure the ideal result. A personal injury lawyer in Potosi, MO can provide assistance in a variety of ways:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you maximize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law honestly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance representative can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing very little about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to offer as minimal money as achievable. We'll make sure they understand their lawful responsibility to compensate you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complicated legal processes, including collecting evidence, interviewing witnesses, examining medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are novice with injury claims can make mistakes or miss important details. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a weakness.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, review medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can validate your story. The greater complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to discover the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Potosi, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from our first case evaluation through a jury or bench trial.
Potosi, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident fatalities in traffic accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which resulted in 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, annually they account for more than twice that in traffice-related fatalities. The disparity points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Potosi, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist simply was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents on the side of the road cause more severe injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Potosi, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is to blame for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Potosi, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Potosi, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need experienced and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Potosi, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Potosi, MO?
Who is liable depends on the specifics of your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by either not paying attention or driving hostilely toward them. But the road is for everyone, and in the event of an accident the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Following the legal theory of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Car Component
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as headlights, you can seek a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a percentage of your compensation.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Potosi, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as cracked pavement played a part in your injuries, your Potosi, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who injure somebody while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Potosi, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, compensation you will receive for your bicycle accident injuries:
- The extent of your injuries — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Potosi, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when that time comes.
- The physical, mental and emotional impact of your injuries — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? An accomplished and knowledgeable Potosi, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning capacity — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Potosi, MO and now are not able to safely lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while commercial enterprises often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if your damages total $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Potosi, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should be able to depend on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Potosi, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Attention
If you're able to, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to arrive.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, make an appointment with your primary care physician as soon as possible. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-explain what happened. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't offer any information they don't specifically ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them afterwards.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an inadequate offer. They want you to settle before you realize the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost rarely true. Many injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always advisable to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Potosi, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Potosi, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and leads to a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Potosi, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their abilities to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Potosi, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.