Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Creve Coeur, MO
Creve Coeur, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Creve Coeur, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Creve Coeur, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We offer expert legal representation clients in Creve Coeur, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by reaching out to us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Creve Coeur, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO to ensure the best possible outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO can provide assistance in a range of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bicycle accident lawyers can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how all of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law truthfully and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance adjuster can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid assuming that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing limited about injury and accident law to pay as few money as possible. We'll make sure they understand their lawful responsibility to compensate you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing people who saw the accident, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make errors or overlook critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a weakness.
You didn't ask to be injured and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on recovering.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, examine medical records, and connect your injuries to your accident, as well as interview witnesses who can corroborate your story. The more complicated your case, the more evidence is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to file a lawsuit and pursue litigation if necessary.
As experienced Creve Coeur, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from our first case review through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Creve Coeur, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle wrecks nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, each year they account for over two percent of motor vehicle deaths. The deviation speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Creve Coeur, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly marked construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Defective car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections cause more serious injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Creve Coeur, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Creve Coeur, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need accomplished and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Creve Coeur, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Creve Coeur, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the the different aspects that caused your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is responsible, and a knowledgeable bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were texting and driving, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Following the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car or Truck Parts
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as steering systems, you can file a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue comes to light. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government need to keep our Creve Coeur, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections contributed to your injuries, your Creve Coeur, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not granted sovereign immunity like most other government workers are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
What Are My Creve Coeur, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More significant injuries lead to higher medical costs, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Creve Coeur, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional well-being — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? A seasoned and knowledgeable Creve Coeur, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a construction worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Creve Coeur, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Creve Coeur, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should be able to lean on the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Creve Coeur, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be scary and it can be hard to know exactly what to do, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Get Medical Attention
If you're able to, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could make your injuries worse. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after authorities tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go the same day, make an appointment with your general practitioner as soon as you can. If you don't have records from a physician of your injuries, you won't be able to receive compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in demonstrating the other party's liability. Police are trained to assign fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't confess fault or over-embellish what happened. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be a lowball offer. They want you to settle before you become aware of the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. Most injury attorneys provide free consultations, so it's always worth it to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
See some of the other cases we take on in Creve Coeur, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Creve Coeur, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Creve Coeur, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has devoted their practice to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they deserve. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.