Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Creve Coeur, MO
Creve Coeur, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Creve Coeur, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Creve Coeur, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Creve Coeur, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to a knowledgeable and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Creve Coeur, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 983 bike accident deaths in motor vehicle accidents across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which caused 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
In both states, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Almost a third of bike crashes transpire at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for over twice that in traffic accident deaths. The discrepancy points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Creve Coeur, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist simply did not see the bicyclist in time to adjust. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections are more severe because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Creve Coeur, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Creve Coeur, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because of the severity of the bicycle accident injuries, you need experienced and passionate bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Creve Coeur, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Creve Coeur, MO?
Who is at fault depends on the the different aspects that led to your accident. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and make each of them pay you based on how much of the accident was their fault. You may be able to seek compensation from:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by think they own the road and bicyclists do not. But bicyclists are allowed to enjoy the road the same as the driver of any passenger car, and in the event of an accident the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as respecting bike lanes. Pursuant to the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they break a state statute. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Component
If your accident was the result of a defective product, such as steering systems, you can seek a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Creve Coeur, MO roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your injuries, your Creve Coeur, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own regulations for maintaining safe roads. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is crucial for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Creve Coeur, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial loss and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical costs, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Creve Coeur, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Your financial recovery is meant to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. After years of playing piano, is it hard to sit up straight on the bench now? An accomplished and skilled Creve Coeur, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you need to be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Creve Coeur, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 35 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is secure.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies usually have much more. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal philosophy of comparative fault, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially liable, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Creve Coeur, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence has a right to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Creve Coeur, MO:
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Creve Coeur, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, infuriating and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Creve Coeur, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their practice to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Creve Coeur, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.