Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Weldon Spring, MO
Weldon Spring, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Weldon Spring, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Weldon Spring, MO. Riding a bicycle is great for the mind and body. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We offer expert legal representation clients in Weldon Spring, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an accomplished and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Weldon Spring, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Weldon Spring, MO to guarantee the ideal result. A personal injury lawyer in Weldon Spring, MO can offer help in a range of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you increase your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are legally owed
- Finding supplementary insurance coverage if your damages go beyond the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law fairly and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a heartless insurance adjuster can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing scant about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to pay as little money as possible. We'll ensure they understand their legal duty to pay you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including gathering evidence, deposing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make mistakes or neglect critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a advantage, not a weakness.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle obtaining your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more challenging to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, analyze medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can corroborate your story. The more complicated your case, the more proof is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to locate the evidence needed to get a full financial recovery.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to oppose against your rights. That's why you need seasoned injury attorneys in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and bring them to trial if necessary.
As experienced Weldon Spring, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from initial case review through a jury or bench trial.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Weldon Spring, MO Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle crashes across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle accidents, which resulted in 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Over three-tenths of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for more than two percent of traffice-related deaths. The disparity points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Weldon Spring, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Poorly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians forcing a bicyclist to swerve
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road do more damage because of the higher speeds involved. Your Weldon Spring, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Weldon Spring, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in permanent disability. We've helped secure great financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need skilled and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Weldon Spring, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Weldon Spring, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the causes of your accident. Each claim is unique, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and hold each party responsible for the percentage of blame they share. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers can often cause bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the same liability in car accidents applies. For instance, if someone causes an accident because they were texting and driving, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Under the legal practice of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a law. So if injured because someone hit you with their car door without looking, your lawyer for bicycle accident will only have to prove that the accident caused your injuries, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Motor Vehicle Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as tires, you can seek a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they are negligent in that duty, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Weldon Spring, MO roadways. If a hazard such as cracked pavement caused your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Weldon Spring, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Weldon Spring, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial damages and other factors:
- The scope of your injuries — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical expenses, and you should be reimbursed for all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Weldon Spring, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional burdens caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Are you afraid to get back on your bike? A seasoned and talented Weldon Spring, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Weldon Spring, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift over 30 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $25,000 per person for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Weldon Spring, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that influential corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Weldon Spring, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be frightening and confusing, but there are several things you should do to help you get better physically and maximize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Get to Safety and Get Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, stay put until emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, head to the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you can leave the scene. If you didn't go immediately, make an appointment with your general practitioner as soon as you can. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to receive compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in proving the other party's liability. Police are trained to determine fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't acknowledge fault or over-embellish your actions. Be honest, but don't say anything beyond the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't provide any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If other people saw the accident, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can get in touch with them later.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your damages or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. The majority of injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always recommended to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Weldon Spring, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Weldon Spring, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is confusing, infuriating and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Weldon Spring, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their abilities to fighting for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they get the full compensation they are owed. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Weldon Spring, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.