Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Alton, IL
Alton, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Alton, IL Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Alton, IL. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Alton, IL and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in the Alton, IL Area?
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic crashes nationwide, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are at the highest risk for deaths.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which caused 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for more than twice that in motor vehicle fatalities. The deviation speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Alton, IL?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist merely did not see a bicyclist. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too fast
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents on the side of the road do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Alton, IL bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Alton, IL Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need experienced and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a family member in the Alton, IL area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is At Fault for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Alton, IL?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that caused your injuries. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how drivers are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Under the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Defective Bike or Car or Truck Parts
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as steering systems, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue is found. If they are negligent in that duty, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be responsible for a portion of your compensation.
A Government Agency
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Alton, IL roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting played a part in your accident, your Alton, IL bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than a standard personal injury claim, so an attorney is imperative for the best results in your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not allow anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Alton, IL Bicycle Accident Injuries?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- The scope of your injuries — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Was the accident severe enough to require a knee replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Alton, IL bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the physical and emotional hardships caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? An experienced and talented Alton, IL bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had sick leave. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Alton, IL and now are not able to safely lift over 30 pounds, you need to know your future is secure after you've healed as much as possible. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative negligence states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you cannot get compensation if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Alton, IL bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should be able to depend on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Alton, IL:
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Alton, IL | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you should not have to pay because someone else did not respect your safety. Our Alton, IL lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their abilities to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they are owed. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Alton, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.