Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Rolla, MO
Rolla, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Rolla, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Rolla, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too frequently, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything right, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We provide expert and sound legal advocacy to clients in Rolla, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and you do not owe us anything unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an experienced and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Rolla, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic accidents in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the most since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people passed away, according to statistics in the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle crashes, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Across the U.S., the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more condensed. Almost a third of bike crashes occur at night, when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American travelers, each year they account for more than two percent of motor vehicle fatalities. The disparity points to the ruinous damage people can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and lighting are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Rolla, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of biker error or because a motorist merely was not paying attention. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Inadequately marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that "midblock" accidents cause more serious injuries because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Rolla, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a comprehensive investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who is liable for your damages.
What Are Common Injuries from Rolla, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their cars or trucks, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be traumatic and even sometimes result in permanent disability. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as strains and sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need talented and dedicated bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Rolla, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Rolla, MO?
Who is responsible depends on the specifics of your case. Each injury is different, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your injuries and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
A Car, Motorcycle or Truck Driver
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as the driver of any other vehicle, and in the event of an accident the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone injures you because they were driving under the influence, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how drivers are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as allowing at least three feet of space when passing. According to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will likely be more motivated to offer a fair recovery.
A Faulty or Motor Vehicle Component
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as brakes, you can file a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue arises. If they fail to, they are liable for your damages.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be responsible for a percentage of your financial recovery.
A Government Entity
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Rolla, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting caused your injuries, your Rolla, MO bicycle accident lawyer may be able to find out that a government agency did not follow their own rules for maintaining safe roads. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, under 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover for My Rolla, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — More serious injuries lead to higher medical bills, which you will be compensated for. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a a visit or two with your primary care physician. Did your bicycle accident lead to a knee replacement? The lifespan for those is 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Rolla, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? A seasoned and talented Rolla, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a neck injury in a bicycle accident in Rolla, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- Policy limits — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies often have coverage into the millions. An experienced lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if your damages exceed the policy limits.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative fault, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially at fault, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, you would receive $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you were 99 percent to blame. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Rolla, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that everyone has has a right to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
See some of the other cases we take on in Rolla, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Rolla, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Rolla, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their profession to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive all the money they deserve. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Rolla, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.