Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Litchfield, IL
Litchfield, IL Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Litchfield, IL Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Litchfield, IL. Riding a bicycle is great for our physical and mental well-being. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident even after you did everything that you were supposed to, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to fight for the compensation you are rightfully entitled to. We serve clients in Litchfield, IL and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to a qualified and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Litchfield, IL Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle crashes across the country, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to research from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, there were 406 total crashes which lead to 351 injuries and six deaths, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle wrecks 1,995 people were injured and 28 people died.
Nationawide, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Thirty-one percent of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, annually they account for over twice that in traffic accident fatalities. The disparity speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Litchfield, IL?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver error or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically results in bike accidents:
- Drivers neglecting to to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the road seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Insufficiently zoned-off construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Defective car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents between intersections do more damage because both the motor vehicle and bicycle are traveling at higher speeds. Your Litchfield, IL bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out a thorough investigation into your accident to determine the cause of your injuries and who we need to seek compensation from.
What Are Common Injuries from Litchfield, IL Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are more likely to sustain severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the seriousness of the bicycle accident injuries, you need skilled and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Litchfield, IL area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Litchfield, IL?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that led to your injuries. Each case is different, and as such the liable party varies. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your accident and hold each party accountable for the percentage of blame they share. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were driving drunk, they would be at fault for your injuries.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Pursuant to the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you were injured by a motorist in a bike lane, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more honest in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Component
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they fail to, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a commercial driver causes your accident, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be least partially liable for your injuries.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Litchfield, IL roadways. If a hazard such as a pothole contributed to your accident, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Litchfield, IL bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who cause an accident while driving within the course of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Litchfield, IL Bicycle Accident Injuries?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical costs, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Litchfield, IL bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional health — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? A seasoned and knowledgeable Litchfield, IL bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because a physician told you to stay home and rest, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a construction worker who sustained an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Litchfield, IL and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been significantly compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents will make sure you get all the money possible by filing an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the coverage available isn't enough to fully compensate you for your injuries.
- Whether you are partially at fault for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you were partially to blame, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can receive compensation even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is referred to as a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent liable.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Litchfield, IL bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that greedy corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. We do what we do every day because we believe that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence has a right to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Litchfield, IL:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Litchfield, IL | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident because of someone else's negligence is shocking, painful and creates a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Litchfield, IL lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their abilities to fighting for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they get all the money they are entitled to. You do not pay unless we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Litchfield, IL today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.