Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Barnhart, MO
Barnhart, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Barnhart, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Barnhart, MO. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But too frequently, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you were injured in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve clients in Barnhart, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our case reviews are free, no-risk and no-obligation, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we secure you the recovery you are owed. Speak directly to an experienced and friendly bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Barnhart, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic crashes in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while deaths were most common in riders between 55 and 64 years old.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people died, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which caused 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
Nationawide, highly populated areas with more vehicle traffic see most bike crashes. Over three-tenths of bike crashes happen at night, when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for more than two percent of motor vehicle deaths. The discrepancy points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Barnhart, MO?
Most bike accidents are caused either because of the biker making a mistake or because a motorist just did not see a bicyclist. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers failing to pay attention
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door without checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report found that "midblock" accidents are more severe because of the higher speeds involved. Your Barnhart, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct a thorough investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Barnhart, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. Some of the most common injuries our lawyer for bicycle accident team has helped Barnhart, MO residents receive compensation for include:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as sprains
Because bicycle injuries often require extensive medical treatment and a lot of time off work, you need accomplished and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you are compensated for every way in which the injury has affected your life. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a loved one in the Barnhart, MO area, we will get you a financial recovery to make sure your future is financially secure and to ease the pain, even if just a little.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Barnhart, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the the different aspects that caused your case. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any passenger car, and if a car, truck or motorcycle driver injures a bicyclists the rules for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For example, if someone hits you because they were driving drunk, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to treat and look out for bicyclists, such as leaving a safe distance when passing. Pursuant to the legal philosophy of negligence per se, someone is automatically liable for your injuries if they violate a state statute. So if a driver breaks the law and injures you, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and the insurance company will be more accommodating in negotiations.
A Defective Bike or Car Component
If your result was because of a defective product, such as tires, you can file a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls if a safety issue comes to light. If they fail to, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, the employer may be partially liable. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be responsible for a percentage of your compensation.
A Government Entity
Governmental agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Barnhart, MO roadways. If a hazard such as inadequate lighting caused your accident, your Barnhart, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you are also able to make a claim against a public bus driver. Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government workers who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not granted sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless the harm was deliberate or the employee showed an "utter indifference" to your safety.
What Are My Barnhart, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries Worth?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- The severity of your injuries — More significant injuries lead to higher medical expenses, which you will be compensated for. Surgeries will lead to much higher compensation than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Was the accident severe enough to require a joint replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Barnhart, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure a new one paid for too.
- The impact your injuries had on your life — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the less tangible ways your injuries have hurt you, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Are you afraid to get back on your bike? An accomplished and skilled Barnhart, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- How much time you miss from work — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't earn a living because you were on bed rest for six weeks, you will be compensated for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a back injury in a bicycle accident in Barnhart, MO and now are not able to safely lift over 25 pounds, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure you and your family will still have the means to live a comfortable life.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — The defendant's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. Illinois and Missouri both require $50,000 per accident for bodily injury in car accident policies, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A skilled lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you share any of the blame for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you were partially to blame, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. So if your damages total $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are responsible for the vast majority of the accident. Illinois is called a a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Barnhart, MO bicycle accident lawyers work with medical and economic experts to ensure you are truly fully and fairly compensated for your injuries. We know that large corporations and insurance companies often resist taking accountability. We do what we do every day because we believe that everyone has should be able to depend on the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Take a look at some of the other cases we take on in Barnhart, MO:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Barnhart, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, painful and leads to a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay for the damage someone else caused and whether or not you will ever feel the same again. Our Barnhart, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their practice to standing up for people who have been wronged, and ensuring that they receive all the money they are entitled to. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Barnhart, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.