Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Barnhart, MO
Barnhart, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Barnhart, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Barnhart, MO. Riding a bicycle can be a cheap and eco-friendly way to get around town, or a great way to explore the outdoors. But too often, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to stand by your side. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Barnhart, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and we charge no attorneys' fees unless we win your claim. Speak directly to a qualified and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Barnhart, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bike accident attorney in Barnhart, MO to guarantee the optimal result. A personal injury lawyer in Barnhart, MO can provide assistance in a multitude of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you optimize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are included by the insurance policy
- Calculating the full extent of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages exceed the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company applies the law fairly and morally
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance representative can feel disheartening. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do everything they can to avoid taking on that responsibility.
Insurance companies often depend on claimants knowing scant about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to offer as few money as possible. We'll guarantee they understand their legal obligation to reimburse you for each your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve complex legal processes, including acquiring evidence, interviewing witnesses, reviewing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make errors or neglect critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a asset, not a vulnerability.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on healing.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to question witnesses, examine medical records, and link your injuries to your accident, as well as depose witnesses who can corroborate your story. The more complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Knowledgeable bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to locate the evidence needed to get maximum compensation.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if fault isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications arise, the insurance company is going to fight against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to initiate legal proceedings and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Barnhart, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side for the duration of your case, from our first consultation through a jury or bench trial.
Barnhart, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic wrecks in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to reporting from the National Safety Council, that same year there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Most nonfatal injuries occurred in children between five and 14 years old, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle wrecks, which lead to 28 fatalities and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Almost a third of bike crashes happen between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when bikers are harder to see.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips, annually they account for over two percent of traffic accident deaths. The deviation points to the terrible damage motorists can cause when they don't look out for bikers, and how important safety measures like helmets and staying in bikes lanes are.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Barnhart, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist error or unsafe road conditions. Below are the most common examples of what we see typically leads to bike accidents:
- Drivers failing to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing too close
- Opening a door without seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly cordoned-of construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report found that accidents between intersections do more damage because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Barnhart, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will perform a comprehensive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Barnhart, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists compared to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be disastrous and even sometimes result in lifelong disability. We've helped secure maximum compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need experienced and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to ensure that you are not taken advantage of by the insurance company. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Barnhart, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of peace and secure your future.
Who is Responsible for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Barnhart, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the specifics of your case. Different accidents may have different, or multiple, liable parties. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is liable, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your claim and assign an appropriate amount of fault to each of them. The most common liable parties in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But the road is for everyone, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were distracted by using their phone, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have rules of the road for how motorists are supposed to drive around bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. According to the legal practice of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Defective Bike or Car Parts
If your result was because of a defective product, such as brakes, an engineer, manufacturer and/or vendor may be liable in a product liability claim. Both bicycle and motor vehicle manufacturers are required to design and manufacture safe products and issue recalls if a safety issue arises. If they are negligent in that duty, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If you are injured by a commercial driver, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to perform a background check, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities both locally and in the state or federal government are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Barnhart, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections caused your accident, your Barnhart, MO bicycle accident lawyer can investigate if a government agency was liable. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, you can make a claim against the government if a driver of public transportation injures you. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public employees who injure somebody while operating a motor vehicle are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Collect for My Barnhart, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
There are numerous factors that determine what, and how much, you can recover for your bicycle accident injuries:
- How serious your injuries are — The worse your injuries, the more you'll have to pay in medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Assistive devices such as wheelchairs will lead to more money than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a joint replacement? That will have to be replaced in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Barnhart, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional well-being — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. Is it a grind just to bring the groceries in? A seasoned and skilled Barnhart, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also receive compensation for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't earn a living because your injuries were too severe to allow you to work for a period, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered an injury to a disc in your back in a bicycle accident in Barnhart, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, you need to know your future is secure after you've reached maximum medical improvement. Your compensation will need to include enough money to make sure your future is secure.
- The amount of insurance coverage available — Different insurance plans have different policy limits. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies usually have much more. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois are comparative fault states, meaning that you can still get a recovery if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. Meaning, if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you are responsible for 30 percent of the accident, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can file a claim even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Barnhart, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence has a right to the same high standard of legal advocacy as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Barnhart, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several things you should do to help you heal physically and maximize your compensation.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Seek Medical Treatment
If you're able to, move to the side of the road to get away from oncoming traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could exacerbate your injuries. If your injuries are too severe for you to move safely, hold out for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after law enforcement tell you it's safe to leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, make an appointment with your primary care physician in the days afterward. If you don't have medical documentation of your injuries, you won't be able to make a valid injury claim.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in proving how the other drive caused your injuries. Police are trained to assign fault in an accident. When speaking to police, don't admit fault or over-embellish your actions. Be honest, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't offer any information they don't explicitly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident site, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, ask for their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can contact them at a later time.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be a lowball offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost never true. Most injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always recommended to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Barnhart, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Barnhart, MO | Halvorsen Klote
You did not ask to be put in this situation, and you do not have to go through this alone. Our Barnhart, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has pledged their careers to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they recover the full compensation they are entitled to. We charge no fees we reach a successful conclusion to your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Barnhart, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.