Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wardsville, MO
Wardsville, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wardsville, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wardsville, MO. Riding a bicycle can imbue a wonderful sense of freedom. But too frequently, bicyclists are an afterthought on the road and become hurt when other people don't pay attention or don't respect their safety. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident through no fault of your own, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote is here to help see you through your time of need. We serve the injured and vulnerable in Wardsville, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Our consultations and initial investigations are free, and we charge no attorneys' fees until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and compassionate bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by getting in touch with us online.
Wardsville, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in motor vehicle accidents in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest total since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 nonfatal injuries in bicycle accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are at the highest risk for injuries, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, there were 406 total bike accidents which caused 351 injuries and six fatalities, according to data from the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, there were 2,180 bicycle collisions, which caused 28 deaths and 1,995 injuries
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Almost a third of bike crashes occur between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when it is more difficult to notice bikers on the road.
While bicycle accidents make up only one percent of trips taken by American commuters, each year they account for more than two percent of traffice-related fatalities. The deviation speaks to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Wardsville, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by driver negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers failing to yield the right of way
- Drivers neglecting to to respect a bike lane
- Drivers passing in an unsafe manner
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street checking for bicyclists
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Improperly placed road signs
- Road hazards
- Improperly marked construction sites
- Pedestrians being oblivious to bikers
- Faulty car or bike components
While most bike accidents happen at intersections, a National Transport Safety Board report stated that accidents on the side of the road cause more serious injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Wardsville, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will carry out an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is at fault for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Wardsville, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Because of the vulnerability of bicyclists relative to their enclosed vehicle counterparts, injuries suffered in bicycle accidents can be severe and even sometimes result in lifelong consequences. We've helped secure maximum financial recoveries for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as dislocations
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need talented and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the worst accidents, if you suffer the wrongful death of a loved one in the Wardsville, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Sue for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Wardsville, MO?
Who owes you a recovery depends on the causes of your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there is more than one person or organization is at fault, and an accomplished bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. You may be able to seek compensation from:
The Driver of a Passenger Vehicle
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are often responsible for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any other vehicle, and if you are injured by a motorist the same liability in car accidents applies. For example, if someone causes an accident because they were driving under the influence, they would be responsible for your injuries in a civil claim.
Both Illinois and Missouri have strict regulations for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as looking for bicyclists when opening car doors. Under the legal theory of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you wee injured because a driver passed too closely, your lawyer for bicycle accident only has to provide proof of your damages, and the insurance company will be more amenable in negotiations.
A Faulty or Car Component
If your accident was because of a defective product, such as carbon fork failure, you can make a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not dangerous when used appropriately and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can seek compensation from them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, you may be able to make a claim against both the driver and their employer. For example, if a trucking company failed to carry out drug tests, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Governmental entities at the state, local and federal levels need to keep our Wardsville, MO roadways free of unreasonable dangers. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections contributed to your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Wardsville, MO bicycle accident lawyer. There are special rules for filing claims against government agencies and they have different deadlines for how long you have to file, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, public workers who injure somebody while driving within the scope of their employment are not given sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Regrettably, in Illinois, pursuant to 745 ILCS 10/ you cannot sue a public employee unless you can prove that they deliberately harmed you.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Wardsville, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
How much your claim is worth depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your financial damages and other factors:
- How serious your injuries are — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical bills, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to more money than a an appointment or two with your primary care doctor. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? Those typically last 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Wardsville, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and mental health — The purpose of a personal injury settlement isn't just to cover your medical bills, but to compensate you for the physical and emotional distress caused by your injuries, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it painful just to get up and down the stairs? A seasoned and talented Wardsville, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will fight to make sure the physical and emotional pain you felt is compensated to.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — You will also be reimbursed for the money you were not able to earn. If you couldn't work because a physician told you to stay home and rest, you will be reimbursed for that.
- If your injuries result in lost earning potential — If you were a warehouse worker who sustained a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Wardsville, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to substantial enough to make sure your future is secure.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while commercial enterprises usually have much more. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents will assist you with an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative fault, meaning that you can still receive compensation if you were partially liable, but the amount will be lowered based on how much blame you share. Meaning, if it is determined that your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering come to $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your compensation would be reduced by $30,000. Missouri is called a a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be unable to make a claim if you are more than 50 percent at fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Wardsville, MO bicycle accident lawyers know how to precisely value claims and get you all of the compensation you deserve. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies often try their best to devalue your claim. We became personal injury attorneys because we believe that an ordinary person who has been injured by another's negligence should have access to the same expert legal representation as wealthy organizations.
Check out some of the other cases we take on in Wardsville, MO:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wardsville, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, infuriating and leads to a a ton of anxiety about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Wardsville, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has committed their careers to standing up for people who have been hurt and taken advantage of, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they deserve. We charge no fees we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Wardsville, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary case evaluation.