Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wardsville, MO
Wardsville, MO Personal Injury Attorneys
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Consultation | Wardsville, MO Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wardsville, MO. Riding a bicycle is a great way to exercise and enjoy the freedom of the outdoors. But on too many occasions, bicyclists don't receive the same respect that motorists do and end up injured because of someone else's negligence. If you sustained an injury in a bike accident because someone else did not respect your safety, the lawyer for bicycle accident team of Halvorsen Klote will fight for your rights and secure you the financial recovery you deserve. We offer expert legal representation clients in Wardsville, MO and throughout the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois. Talking to us is free, and you do not owe us anything until you are fairly compensated. Speak directly to an accomplished and empathetic bicycle accident lawyer by calling 866-382-4167 or by contacting us online.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer for Bicycle Accident Cases in Wardsville, MO?
While some simple cases for relatively minor injuries can be handled without the help of an attorney, most require an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Wardsville, MO to guarantee the optimal outcome. A personal injury lawyer in Wardsville, MO can provide assistance in a range of aspects:
Maximizing Compensation and Ensuring Fair Settlements
The purpose of making an injury claim is to get compensation. While insurance companies try to offer as little money as possible, bike accident attorneys can help you optimize your compensation by:
- Gathering evidence that proves the other party's liability
- Proving how every single of your damages related to the accident are covered by the insurance policy
- Calculating the complete scope of your damages and all the compensation you are eligible for
- Finding additional insurance coverage if your damages surpass the policy limits
- Making sure the insurance company follows the law honestly and ethically
Negotiating With Insurance Companies to Protect Your Rights
Dealing with a discompassionate insurance representative can feel defeating. It's their job to help me, isn't it? Yes, but they'll do whatever it takes they can to avoid accepting that responsibility.
Insurance companies often rely on claimants knowing limited about laws pertaining to injuries and accidents to offer as little money as possible. We'll guarantee they understand their lawful responsibility to reimburse you for all your damages.
Bicycle accident cases involve intricate legal processes, including gathering evidence, interviewing people who saw the accident, analyzing medical records, and negotiating with insurance adjusters. People who are inexperienced with injury claims can make errors or overlook critical steps. By hiring a lawyer specializing in bicycle accidents, your legal standing becomes a strength, not a vulnerability.
You did nothing wrong to deserve your injuries and you shouldn't have to deal with the consequences. Let us handle securing your compensation while you focus on getting better.
Gathering Evidence to Strengthen Your Case
Some cases are more difficult to prove than others. For your bicycle accident case, you'll need an attorney to interrogate witnesses, review medical records, and establish a connection your injuries to your accident, as well as question witnesses who can support your story. The more complicated your case, the more supporting evidence is needed. Skilled bicycle accident attorneys like those at Halvorsen Klote will know how to find the evidence needed to win your claim.
Representing You in Court if Filing a Lawsuit is Necessary
Most bicycle accident cases settle out of court. However, if responsibility isn't clear, your damages are high, or other complications come up, the insurance company is going to contest against your rights. That's why you need seasoned personal injury lawyers in your corner to file a lawsuit and take them to court if necessary.
As experienced Wardsville, MO trial attorneys, Halvorsen Klote can be by your side throughout your case, from our first consultation through a jury or bench trial.
Wardsville, MO Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2020, there were 938 bicyclists killed in traffic wrecks in the U.S., according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than any other year since 1987. According to data from the National Safety Council, in 2020 there were 325,173 bicyclists injured in nonfatal accidents. Kids ages five to 14 are the most likely to sustain an injury, while adults aged 55 to 64 are the most likely to be victim to a fatal accident.
In Missouri, in 406 total crashes, 351 people sustained nonfatal injuries and six people perished, according to the Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium. In Illinois, in 2,180 bicycle crashes 1,995 people were injured and 28 people perished.
In both Missouri and Illinois, the vast majority ofMost bicycle accidents occur in urban areas where traffic is more congested. Over three-tenths of bike crashes transpire between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., when visibility is at its lowest.
While bicycle accidents account for only one percent of trips, each year they account for more than two percent of traffic accident deaths. The disparity points to how important bicycle safety is, and also how important it is for drivers of other vehicles to be aware of bicyclists and share the road with them.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Wardsville, MO?
Each accident is unique, but most bike crashes are caused by motorist negligence or unsafe road conditions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents we see are:
- Drivers neglecting to to see a bicyclist
- Drivers neglecting to to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to obey bike lane laws
- Drivers passing dangerously
- Opening a door after parking on the side of the street seeing if a biker is coming
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road signs that impede a motorists vision
- Road hazards
- Improperly marked construction sites
- Pedestrians not paying attention
- Faulty car or bike components
While intersections are the most common place to see or experience a bike accident, a National Transport Safety Board report relayed that accidents between intersections cause more severe injuries because the speeds are higher than at intersections because of stop signs, traffic lights or turning vehicles. Your Wardsville, MO bike accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will conduct an exhaustive investigation into your accident to who and/or what caused it and who is responsible for your injuries.
What Are Common Injuries from Wardsville, MO Bicycle Accidents?
Bicyclists are at a higher risk for severe injuries than anyone else on the road. We've helped secure great compensation for people with:
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Internal injuries
- Nerve damage
- Joint injuries such as ligament tears
Because of the high cost of dealing with a bicycle accident injury, you need knowledgeable and tenacious bicycle accident lawyers like those at Halvorsen Klote to make sure you receive full compensation for all of your damages, including pain and suffering. In the tragic case of the wrongful death of a family member in the Wardsville, MO area, we will stand by your side and help you find some form of justice and secure your future.
Who Can I Hold Accountable for My Bicycle Accident Injuries in Wardsville, MO?
Who you can seek compensation from depends on the causes of your accident. Liability is determined based on whose negligence contributed to the crash. In some cases there are multiple liable parties, and a dedicated bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and assign a proportionate amount of fault to each of them. Some of the parties we have successfully secured compensation from in bicycle accidents include:
Car, truck and motorcycle drivers are the most common liable party for bicycle accidents by not respecting bicyclists' right to share the road. But have the same right to the road as an operator of any passenger car, and if you are injured by a motorist the laws for liability in car accidents is no different than any other crash. For instance, if someone hits you because they were distracted by using their phone, they would owe you damages.
Both Illinois and Missouri have specific laws for how motorists are supposed to interact with bicyclists, such as allowing them space in the street when bike lanes are not present. Under the legal doctrine of negligence per se, someone violates a state statute and injures someone else is liable as a matter of law. So if you are injured because a motorist did not yield at a crosswalk, your lawyer for bicycle accident will be able to file a negligence per se claim, and you may be able to get a fair settlement quickly.
A Faulty or Car Parts
If your result was caused by a defective product, such as headlights, you can make a product liability claim. Anybody involved in the chain of distribution must ensure that products are not unreasonably dangerous and issue recalls whenever a component is found to be unsafe. If they don't, you can make a claim against them.
A Trucking or Other Commercial Company
If a truck driver, rideshare driver or other commercial driver causes your accident, your bike accident attorney may be able to prove negligence on the part of the employer. For example, if a trucking company hired an unqualified driver, they would be considered negligent.
A Government Agency
Municipal agencies at the state, local and federal levels are responsible for safely designing and maintaining our Wardsville, MO roadways. If a hazard such as signage that makes it difficult for other vehicles to see you at certain intersections played a part in your injuries, you may be able to make a claim against a government entity with the help of your Wardsville, MO bicycle accident lawyer. A claim against the government is different in many ways than filing a claim with an individual or company's insurance company, so it is important to reach out to an attorney as soon as possible in order to make your claim.
In Missouri, a public transport operator may also be liable. Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.600, government employees who cause an accident while operating a motor vehicle are not able to receive sovereign immunity like other public employees are in personal injury cases. Unfortunately, in Illinois, 745 ILCS 10/ does not permit anyone to sue a public employee in a tort case unless there was "willful and wanton" misconduct.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Wardsville, MO Bicycle Accident Injuries?
The compensation you receive depends on the severity of the injuries, how they've affected your life, your economic damages and other factors:
- The severity of your injuries — More debilitating injuries lead to higher medical costs, and you should receive all of those expenses. Months of physical therapy will lead to much higher compensation than a quick trip to the emergency room. Did your injuries include a knee replacement? You will need a new one in 15-20 years, and your Halvorsen Klote Wardsville, MO bicycle accident lawyer will make sure you are not the one that has to pay for it when a new one is necessary.
- How your injuries have affected your physical and emotional health — Personal injury settlements and verdicts are also intended to compensate you for the effects on your personal life, including pain and suffering and mental anguish. Is it harder to play with your kids than it used to be? An experienced and talented Wardsville, MO bicycle accident lawyer at Halvorsen Klote will secure you compensation for those damages as well.
- Your lost wages from time spent recovering — Any personal injury settlement will also include the paychecks you were not able to earn, even if you had PTO. If you couldn't work because you were on bed rest for six weeks, that lost money will be part of your recovery.
- If your injuries prevent you from working the same job — If you were a warehouse worker who suffered a permanent injury in a bicycle accident in Wardsville, MO and a doctor orders you not to lift more than a certain amount, your ability to earn a living has been seriously compromised. Your compensation will need to be high enough to make sure your future is comfortable.
- Policy limits — The negligent party's insurance policy may have an impact on your settlement amount. A standard car insurance policy may have a $50,000 limit on bodily injury, while trucking companies may have up to $5 million in coverage. A talented lawyer for bicycle accidents can help you make an underinsured motorist claim with your own insurance company if the negligent party's insurance doesn't cover all of your damages.
- Whether you were partially responsible for your bicycle accident — Both Missouri and Illinois practice the legal doctrine of comparative negligence, meaning that you can still be reimbursed for your damages if you bear some responsibility for the accident, but it will be proportionately less based on how how much of your fault it was. So if a fact finder awards you $100,000 but you were 30 percent at fault, your recovery would be $70,000. Missouri is considered a "pure" comparative fault state, meaning you can make a recovery even if you are 99 percent responsible. Illinois is considered a "modified" comparative fault state, meaning you would be barred from recovery if more than half the accident is your fault.
At Halvorsen Klote, our Wardsville, MO bicycle accident lawyers will know exactly how much you are owed. We know that powerful corporations and insurance companies treat people unfairly. Our practice is founded on the idea that an ordinary person who has been hurt by another's negligence should have access to the same knowledgeable and aggressive legal representation as wealthy organizations.
What to Do if You're Injured in a Bicycle Accident in Wardsville, MO
Getting in a bicycle accident can be terrifying and confusing, but there are several steps you should take to get the most out of both your financial and physical recovery.
Stay Calm, Stay Safe and Get Medical Attention
If you can, move out of the way of traffic. Leave your bike, as trying to move it could intensify your injuries. If your injuries don't allow you to move safely, wait for emergency medical personnel to get to the scene.
If you don't need to go to the hospital in an ambulance, visit the emergency room or urgent care after police tell you you are free to leave the scene. If you didn't go on the same day, make an appointment with your general practitioner as soon as possible. If you don't have a doctor's record of your injuries, you won't be able to get compensation from the insurance company.
Call and Wait for the Police
You need to have the police make a report, as it will go a long way in establishing the other party's liability. Police are trained to allocate fault in an accident. When talking to police, don't admit fault or over-explain what happened. Be truthful, but stick to the facts of the accident and your injuries, and don't give any information they don't directly ask for.
Gather Evidence and Witness Contact Information
While waiting for the authorities to arrive, gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of the accident scene, any damage to your bicycle and the other vehicle, and your injuries. If there are witnesses present, get their contact information so your city, state bicycle accident lawyer can reach out to them at a later time.
Don't Settle Too Quickly
The insurance companies' first offer will almost always be an unfairly low offer. They want you to settle before you discover the full extent of your injuries or hire an attorney. They may tell you no more money is available, but that's almost hardly ever true. The majority of injury attorneys give free consultations, so it's always worth it to at least speak to a lawyer about your case before accepting a settlement.
Click on the links below to see some of the other cases we take on in Wardsville, MO:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Lawyer for Bicycle Accident in Wardsville, MO | Halvorsen Klote
We know that being hurt in a bicycle accident through no fault of your own is confusing, painful and creates a large cloud of uncertainty about how you are going to pay the bills that are piling up and when or if you'll be able to get back to normal. Our Wardsville, MO lawyer for bicycle accident team has dedicated their careers to standing up for people who have been treated unfairly, and ensuring that they receive the full compensation they deserve. You only pay if we win your case. Call a bicycle accident lawyer in Wardsville, MO today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.