Slip and Fall Lawyer Granite City, IL
Granite City, IL Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Granite City, IL. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident because someone did not keep their property free of dangerous or hazardous conditions, trust in an experienced and skilled Granite City, IL slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. You should not have to pay when someone else in Granite City, IL causes your injuries. Proprietors have a responsibility to make sure their property is safe for people who are on it legally, and when their property is unsafe they are responsible for giving you financial compensation. If you received an injury in a slip and fall accident, call a Granite City, IL slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the leading cause of emergency room visits in the United States, and slip and fall injuries account for 12 percent of those visits. While it can be hard to know who exactly is liable for your slip and fall and how to go about collecting compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will help you navigate the labyrinthine legal process and secure the compensation you are owed. We charge no upfront fees, and if we cannot get you a fair settlement in negotiation we will take your case to court.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide range of injuries that your Granite City, IL slip and fall lawyer will help you receive compensation for. How much compensation you receive will depend on the gravity of your injury and how much of an effect it has on your life. Common injuries you can receive in a slip and fall accident are:
- Fractures, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Some injuries are more severe than others, and how serious they are will affect your compensation. A spinal cord injury or traumatic brain injury may leave you disabled for the rest of your life, while a sprained wrist might only need a quick visit to a Granite City, IL emergency room and limited time off work. Whatever the scope of the effect your injury had on your life, your Granite City, IL slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will make certain that you are awarded every dollar you are owed. You are entitled to compensation for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost pay or diminished earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you experienced because of your slip and fall.
What a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Granite City, IL Can Do For Your Claim
No one anticipates being injured. A knowledgeable Granite City, IL personal injury lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote will be able to step in and provide dedicated representation to get you the maximum compensation you are entitled to. Upon enlisting our services, we will:
- Carry out an exhaustive investigation into the circumstances surrounding your accident, for example obtaining video footage, locating eyewitnesses and developing a legal strategy to prove liability
- Listen to what you have to say, so we know what true compensation really means
- Handle all all the legal aspects of your claim, so you can focus on getting better
- Stand up to the insurance company when they try to devalue your claim
- Keep you updated at all times, and offer you sound legal counsel while leaving the ultimate decisions about your claim to you
- Negotiate on your behalf for the best possible settlement
- Take the fight in front of a judge and jury if we cannot secure fair compensation in a settlement
Whether your injuries were minor and you just want the liable party to be fair, or you suffered permanent disability and need compensation to cover for you lost earning potential, call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to learn more about what we do for injury victims.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Granite City, IL, the pertinent law is called "Premises Liability." Property managers have a obligations to patrons or visitors to keep their properties safe. If there is a hazardous condition, they must warn you of it and do their best to repair it. If you receive a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other dangerous condition that the property owner neglected to either repair or warn of, you have a case for to get compensation. Proving negligence is a touch task, and requires the knowledge of an accomplished Granite City, IL slip and fall lawyer.
Granite City, IL has what is known as a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff may bear some liability their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will endeavor to blame you for as much of the fault as possible. If they're successful, the full amount of compensation you are awarded will be substantially less than it could be. For instance, if a jury finds that you should be awarded $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% responsible for the accident, the amount of compensation you receive will be $40,000. That's why it is essential to have a knowledgeable Granite City, IL slip and fall lawyer by your side to help decrease the percentage of fault placed on you for the accident. To place as much of the liability for your slip and fall accident on you, defendants will often try to say that:
- You should have noticed the hazardous condition
- You were not paying adequate attention to your surroundings, for example you were looking at your phone
- You were on a part of the property where customers are not allowed
- Suitable measures were taken to keep you safe, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- Your footwear was not appropriate for the surroundings
Granite City, IL insurance companies have had a lot of practice trying to pin the blame for slip and fall accidents on the person who was injured. But an knowledgeable Halvorsen Klote Granite City, IL slip and fall lawyer will help collect the full compensation that you deserve.
If your slip and fall accident transpired at work, you may be entitled to a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the most common workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your compensation for your workplace accident through your workers’ compensation case and possible third party negligence claims.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents in Granite City, IL?
There are many dangerous conditions that can contribute to a slip and fall accident. Speak to an injury attorney right away if you were injured because of:
- Icy or snowy sidewalks, parking lots or storefronts
- Slippery surfaces, for example spilled liquid or a floor cleaned with a slippery product
- Broken buildings, for example broken steps or holes in the floor
- Poorly constructed buildings, for example uneven flooring
- Loose cords
Halvorsen Klote knows how to investigate claims and prove how the person in control of a property needs to be held accountable for your injuries. If you were injured because someone did not keep their property safe, don't hesitate to call us at 866-382-4167.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Slip and Fall in Granite City, IL?
How much you'll receive in compensation is based on on a variety of factors, including the financial losses you incurred because of your injuries, how your injuries affected your mentally and physically and whether you share any of the responsibility for your fall. Your financial recovery for any injury claim typically is part of two different types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages are intended to reimburse you for the financial losses you have suffered as a result of your injuries. They include:
- Medical bills — You are owed compensation for all of your medical expenses related to your slip and fall accident, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Prescription or over-the-counter drugs
- Physical therapy or chiropractic care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity — If you had to miss time off work when you were unable to work because of your injuries, you deserve to have that money repaid to you, even if you had paid time off or sick leave available. If your injuries have life-long consequences that don't allow you to make the same money you used to, you also deserve compensation for the money you lost out on because of your injuries.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You also need to be compensated for any money you spent because of your injuries. Examples can include parking and gas costs when going to doctors' appointments, having to pay a cleaning service for standard chores or having to send your kids to a daycare to care for your children.
It's essential that you have a record of every penny you and your medical insurance paid, so we we will be able to get compensation for your full economic damages.
These refer to the less tangible ways an injury has affected you. Usually, slip and fall lawyers will make a demand for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Physical impairment
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you love playing guitar and had to wear a cast on your arm for four months, you are entitled to a financial recovery equal to the amount you suffered. In most cases, non-economic damages are calculated by multiplying your economic damages by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more your injuries affected you, the more your economic damages will be multiplied by. Meaning that if your economic damages are $20,000, and your lawyer decides on a multiplier of three, you would receive a $60,000 payout.
To demonstrate non-economic damages to an insurance adjuster or jury, you write down every day how your injuries are affecting your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who are familiar with what you usually do and how you usually feel.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience getting great results for our Granite City, IL clients in a variety of personal injury cases. Clink on the links below to see what other cases we handle.
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Car Accidents Law Firm
Contact Your Granite City, IL Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can bring about anything from minimal inconvenience to lifelong difficulties. When you are hurt owing to another person's negligence, it leads to confusion and anger, especially when the at-fault party does not want to pay you the compensation you are owed. An HK Law Granite City, IL slip and fall lawyer understands how insurance companies try to get out of paying you fair compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Granite City, IL if we are not able to get a fair settlement out of court. If you've been hurt in a slip and fall accident, do not wait to reach out to us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.