Slip and Fall Lawyer Madison, IL
Madison, IL Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Madison, IL. If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident because a property manager did not keep their property reasonably safe, trust in an experienced and skilled Madison, IL slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. We have recovered millions of dollars in damages for our Madison, IL clients. Businesses have an obligation to ensure their property is safe for patrons and customers, and when their property is unsafe they owe you damages. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, call a Madison, IL slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the leading cause of emergency room visits Nationwide, and slip and fall injuries account for about 1 million visits per year. While it is often difficult to understand who exactly is responsible for your slip and fall and how to go about getting compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will help you navigate the labyrinthine legal process and get you the compensation you are owed. You owe us no fees unless we win your case, and if we cannot get you the recovery you need in a settlement we will argue your case in front of a judge and jury.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide array of injuries that your Madison, IL slip and fall lawyer will help you receive compensation for. The damages you are owed will depend on the severity of your injury and the extent of the impact it has on your life. Some of the injuries we see most in slip and fall accidents are:
- Broken bones, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Some injuries are more serious than others, and how severe they are will impact your financial recovery. An injury to the nervous system may leave you with a disability for the rest of your life, while a sprained ankle may only need a quick trip to a Madison, IL emergency room and a week off work. No matter the scope of the effect your injury had on your life, your Madison, IL slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will make certain that you collect every dollar you are owed. You deserve to be compensated for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost pay or lowered earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you experienced as a result of your slip and fall.
What a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Madison, IL Can Do For Your Claim
An injury is always surprising, and most people have never had to deal with making an injury claim before. An experienced Madison, IL personal injury lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote will handle the legal aspect of your case and get you the maximum compensation you deserve. When you hire us, we will:
- Conduct an exhaustive investigation into the circumstances surrounding your injuries, including acquiring security footage, take statements from eyewitnesses and coming up with a legal strategy to prove negligence
- Take your thoughts into consideration, so we know what true compensation really means
- Take care of all all the legal aspects of your claim, so you can spend your energy on healing
- Stand up to the insurance company when they try to minimize your claim
- Keep you involved at all times, and provide you with advise based on our experience and knowledge while allowing you to make what you believe to be the best decision for you and your family
- Negotiate with the insurance company for a full financial recovery
- Take your claim to court if the insurance company won't be fair in negotiations
Whether your injuries were minor and you just want compensation for your expenses and the inconvenience, or you suffered permanent disability and need financial security, speak to a lawyer at Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to learn more about what we do for slip and fall victims.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Madison, IL, the relevant law is called "Premises Liability." Property owners have a responsibility to patrons or visitors to keep their properties without any dangerous conditions. If there is a dangerous condition, they must warn you of it and do their best to fix it. If you suffer a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other dangerous condition that the property owner neglected to either fix or warn of, you have a case for premises liability. Proving negligence is a difficult task, and necessitates the savvy of a talented Madison, IL slip and fall lawyer.
Madison, IL has what's called a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff may bear some legal responsibility their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will endeavor to place as much responsibility for the injury on you as possible. If they succeed, the full amount of recovery you collect will be considerably less than it could be. For instance, if a jury finds that you should be compensated $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% responsible for the accident, the amount of compensation you collect will be $40,000. That's why it is important to have a skilled Madison, IL slip and fall lawyer in your corner to help decrease the amount of fault placed on you for the accident. To place as much of the blame for your slip and fall injury on you, defendants will frequently try to say that:
- The hazardous condition on the property should have been obvious to you
- You were not paying adequate attention to your surroundings, for example you were looking at your phone
- You were on a part of the property where patrons are not allowed
- Appropriate steps were taken to protect patrons, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- You were using inappropriate or dangerous footwear
Madison, IL insurance companies have a lot of experience trying to place the blame for slip and fall accidents on the plaintiffs. But an knowledgeable Halvorsen Klote Madison, IL slip and fall lawyer will help collect the full compensation that you are owed.
If your slip and fall accident transpired at work, you may be entitled to a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the most common workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your recovery for your workplace injury through your workers’ compensation claim and possible third party negligence claims.
What Are Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Madison, IL?
There are numerous hazardous conditions that can contribute to a slip and fall accident. Speak to an injury attorney right away if you were injured because of:
- Icy or snowy sidewalks, parking lots or storefronts
- Slippery surfaces, for example spilled liquid or a recently mopped floor
- Broken parts of a building, for example broken steps or holes in the floor
- Poorly constructed buildings, for example excessively steep stairs
- Loose wiring
Halvorsen Klote has over a decade of experience investigating claims and proving how the person in control of a property was negligent. If you have medical bills and lost wages because of an unsafe property condition, don't hesitate to call us at 866-382-4167.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Slip and Fall in Madison, IL?
How much you'll receive in compensation is based on many different factors, including how much your injuries cost you economically, how your injuries affected your emotionally and physically and whether you share a portion of the responsibility for your fall. Your financial recovery for any injury claim typically is part of two different types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages compensate you for the financial losses you have sustained as a result of your slip and fall. They include:
- Medical bills — You are owed compensation for all of your medical expenses related to your slip and fall accident, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Prescription or over-the-counter drugs
- Physical rehabilitation or chiropractic appointments
- Assistive devices such as crutches or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity — If you had to miss time off work when you were unable to work because of your injuries, that will be included in your compensation, even if your employer provides paid time off. If your injuries result in permanent disability that doesn't allow you to earn a living as you used to, you also deserve compensation for reduced earning potential.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You may have had more expenses related to your injuries. That can include parking and gas costs when going to doctors' appointments, having to hire someone to help with household chores or needing to hire a nanny to watch over your children.
It's essential to keep detailed records and receipts of all of your receipts and bills, so we can demand a full recovery for all of your economic damages.
These refer to the less tangible ways an injury has affected you. Generally, slip and fall lawyers seek compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you're used to tearing up your local softball league, and now have to miss the season, you deserve to be compensated for that. Typically, non-economic damages are calculated by multiplying your economic damages by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more your injuries affected you, the higher the number. Meaning that if your economic damages total $20,000, and your lawyer decides on a multiplier of three, your total compensation would be $60,000.
To prove non-economic damages, you write down every day how your injuries are affecting your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who know about your life before and after the slip and fall.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience arguing and winning a wide variety of personal injury cases. Clink on the links below to see what other cases we handle.
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Contact Your Madison, IL Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can cause anything from minor inconvenience to lifelong difficulties. When you are hurt owing to somebody else's negligence, it causes confusion and anger, particularly when the responsible party does not want to pay you the compensation you are entitled to. An HK Law Madison, IL slip and fall lawyer understands how insurance companies try to get out of paying you fair compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Madison, IL if we are not able to get a fair settlement out of court. If you've been hurt in a slip and fall accident, do not wait to reach out to us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.