Slip and Fall Lawyer Collinsville, IL
Collinsville, IL Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Collinsville, IL. If you were hurt in a slip and fall incident because someone did not keep their property reasonably safe, trust in an experienced and savvy Collinsville, IL slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. We have countless settlements in the hundreds of thousands of dollars for our Collinsville, IL clients. Proprietors have an obligation to ensure their property is safe for patrons and customers, and when they fail in that obligation they owe you damages. If you sustained an injury in a slip and fall accident, call a Collinsville, IL slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the most common reason for an emergency room visit in the United States, and slip and fall injuries make up about 1 million visits per year. While it is often hard to understand who exactly is responsible for your slip and fall and how proceed with collecting compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will help you navigate the complicated legal process and get you the compensation you are owed. You owe us no fees unless we win your case, and if we cannot secure the compensation you need in a settlement we will argue your case in front of a judge and jury.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide range of injuries that your Collinsville, IL slip and fall lawyer will help you get compensation for. How much compensation you collect will be based on the severity of your injury and the extent of the effect it has on your life. Common injuries you can receive in a slip and fall accident include:
- Broken bones, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Some injuries are more severe than others, and how serious they are will impact your compensation. A spinal cord injury or traumatic brain injury may leave you in a wheelchair for years, while a sprained wrist may only need a quick visit to a Collinsville, IL emergency room and limited time off work. Regardless of the scope of the impact your slip and fall accident had on your life, your Collinsville, IL slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will ensure that you collect a full recovery. You deserve to be compensated for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost wages or diminished earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you experienced as a result of your slip and fall.
What a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Collinsville, IL Can Do For Your Claim
No one anticipates being injured. An experienced Collinsville, IL personal injury lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote will handle the legal aspect of your case and get you the full financial recovery you deserve. When you hire us, we will:
- Perform a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding your accident, including acquiring video footage, taking depositions of eyewitnesses and applying the law to prove negligence
- Take your feelings into consideration, so we can convey to the insurance company the full extent of your damages
- Handle all all the legal aspects of your claim, so you can spend your energy on recovering from your injuries
- Fight back when the liable party and insurance company try to say they aren't liable for your injuries
- Be in constant communication, and provide you with advise based on our experience and knowledge while allowing you to make what you believe to be the best decision for you and your family
- Negotiate with the insurance company for maximum compensation
- Take your claim in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company won't be fair in negotiations
Whether your injuries are not severe and you just want the liable party to be fair, or you suffered permanent disability and need financial security, speak to a lawyer at Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to discover more about what we do for those who have been injured due to another's negligence.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Collinsville, IL, the applicable law is called "Premises Liability." Property managers have a duty to patrons or visitors to keep their properties without any dangerous conditions. If there is a hazardous condition, they must take steps to keep you safe from it. If you receive a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other hazardous condition that the property owner failed to either fix or warn of, you have a case for premises liability. Proving negligence is a complicated task, and necessitates the savvy of an accomplished Collinsville, IL slip and fall lawyer.
Collinsville, IL has what is referred to as a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff can be judged to be in some measure responsible for their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will try to blame you for as much of the fault as possible. If they're successful, the full amount of recovery you collect will be considerably lowered. For instance, if a jury finds that you should be awarded $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% at-fault for the accident, the amount of compensation you are awarded will be $40,000. That's why it is imperative to have a talented Collinsville, IL slip and fall lawyer in your corner to help reduce the amount of fault placed on you for the accident. To place as much of the responsibility for your slip and fall injury on you, defendants will frequently try to say that:
- The hazardous condition on the property should have been obvious to you
- You were distracted, for example you were engaged in a spirited conversation
- You were on a part of the premises where patrons are not allowed
- Reasonable steps were taken to protect customers, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- You were using inappropriate or dangerous footwear
Collinsville, IL insurance companies have had a lot of practice trying to pin the blame for slip and fall accidents on the person who was injured. But an talented Halvorsen Klote Collinsville, IL slip and fall lawyer will fight back against them and prove liability by the other party.
If your slip and fall accident occurred at work, you can file a a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the most common workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your compensation for your workplace injury through your workers’ compensation claim and possible third party negligence claims.
What Are Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Collinsville, IL?
There are numerous hazardous conditions that can cause slip and fall injuries. You may be able to file a slip and fall claim if you were injured because of:
- Black ice
- Slippery surfaces, for example spilled liquid or a floor cleaned with a slippery product
- Broken parts of a building, for example broken steps or floors that collapse easily
- Poorly designed buildings, for example uneven flooring
- Stray cords
Halvorsen Klote knows how to investigate claims and prove how a property owner or manager is liable for your injuries. If you were injured because of a hazardous property condition, call Halvorsen Klote as soon as possible at 866-382-4167.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Slip and Fall in Collinsville, IL?
The value of your claim is based on many different factors, including the financial losses you sustained because of your injuries, the effect the injuries had on your life and whether you were partially at fault for your injuries. Your financial recovery for any injury claim usually is part of two different types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages are meant to reimburse you for the financial losses you have sustained due to your injuries. They include:
- Medical bills — You need to be reimbursed for any treatments you needed to heal, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Prescription or over-the-counter drugs
- Physical therapy or chiropractic appointments
- Assistive devices such as braces or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning potential — If you had to miss time off work while you were recovering from your injuries, that will be included in your compensation, even if you had paid time off or sick leave available. If your injuries have life-long consequences that don't allow you to work at all anymore, you are entitled to a recovery for reduced earning potential.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You may have had more expenses related to your injuries. That can include transportation costs to and from doctors' appointments, having to hire help for household chores or having to send your kids to a daycare to care for your children.
It's important to keep detailed records and receipts of all of your receipts and bills, so we can demand a full recovery for all of your economic damages.
These refer to the less tangible ways an injury has affected you. Typically, slip and fall lawyers will make a demand for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you're used to tearing up your local YMCA league, and now have to miss the season, you deserve to be compensated for that. In most cases, we'll use the "multiplier method" to calculate non-economic damages, wherein your economic damages are multiples by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more your injuries affected you, the more your economic damages will be multiplied by. Meaning that if your economic damages are $20,000, and a trier of act decides on a multiplier of three, you would receive a $60,000 financial recovery.
To demonstrate non-economic damages to an insurance company or jury, you write down every day how your injuries are affecting your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who are familiar with what you usually do and how you usually feel.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience arguing and winning a wide array of personal injury cases. Take a look at the links below to see what other cases we handle.
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Contact Your Collinsville, IL Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can occasion anything from minimal inconvenience to lifelong difficulties. When you are hurt because of another person's negligence, it causes confusion and anger, especially when the liable party does not want to pay you the money you are owed. An HK Law Collinsville, IL slip and fall lawyer knows how insurance companies try to avoid paying you just compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Collinsville, IL if we ever have to take your case to trial. If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident, do not hesitate to reach out to us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.