Slip and Fall Lawyer Hannibal, MO
Hannibal, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Hannibal, MO. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident because a property owner did not keep their property free of dangerous or hazardous conditions, trust in an accomplished and savvy Hannibal, MO slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. You should not have to pay when someone else in Hannibal, MO causes your injuries. Businesses have an obligation to ensure their property is safe for patrons and customers, and when their property is unsafe they owe you damages. If you sustained an injury in a slip and fall accident, call a Hannibal, MO slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the most common reason for an emergency room visit in the United States, and slip and fall accidents make up 12 percent of those visits. While it is sometimes hard to figure out who exactly is liable for your slip and fall and how proceed with collecting compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will guide you through the injury claims process and secure the compensation you are entitled to. You owe us no fees unless we win your case, and if we cannot secure the compensation you need in a settlement we will argue your case in front of a judge and jury.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide variety of injuries that your Hannibal, MO slip and fall lawyer will help you receive compensation for. The damages you are owed will be based on the gravity of your injury and the consequences it has for other aspects of your life. Some of the injuries we see most in slip and fall cases include:
- Broken bones, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Injuries vary greatly in how serious they are, and how severe they are will impact your financial recovery. A spinal cord injury or traumatic brain injury may leave you with a disability for years, while a sprained ankle might require a quick trip to a Hannibal, MO emergency room and limited time off work. Whatever the the extent of the impact your slip and fall accident had on your life, your Hannibal, MO slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will ensure that you collect a full recovery. You are entitled to compensation for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost wages or diminished earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you experienced because of your slip and fall.
What a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Hannibal, MO Can Do For Your Claim
An injury is always surprising, and most people don't know the first thing about the injury claims process. A talented Hannibal, MO personal injury lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote will be able to step in and provide dedicated representation to get you the full financial recovery you are entitled to. When you hire us, we will:
- Conduct a complete investigation into the circumstances surrounding your accident, including obtaining security footage, locating eyewitnesses and coming up with a legal strategy to prove liability
- Take your thoughts into consideration, so we know how much to demand from the insurance company
- Take care of all documentation and communication with the liable party and insurance company, so you can focus on recovering from your injuries
- Fight back when the liable party and insurance company try to minimize your claim
- Be in constant communication, and offer you advise based on our experience and knowledge while leaving the ultimate decisions about your claim to you
- Negotiate with the insurance company for the best possible settlement
- Take the fight to court if we cannot secure fair compensation in a settlement
Whether your injuries were minor and you just want the liable party to be fair, or your injuries are debilitating and you need financial security, speak to a lawyer at Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to find out more about what we can do for your claim.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Hannibal, MO, the pertinent law is called "Premises Liability." Property managers have a duty to patrons or visitors to keep their properties safe. If there is a dangerous condition, they must warn you of it and do their best to fix it. If you suffer a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other dangerous condition that the property owner failed to either repair or warn of, you can file a claim for premises liability. Proving negligence is a hard task, and requires the skill of an experienced Hannibal, MO slip and fall lawyer.
Hannibal, MO has what is known as a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff may bear some legal responsibility their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will endeavor to blame you for as much of the fault as possible. If they succeed, the full amount of compensation you collect will be considerably lowered. For instance, if a jury finds that you should be compensated $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% liable for the accident, the amount of compensation you receive will be $40,000. That's why it is important to have a talented Hannibal, MO slip and fall lawyer by your side to help reduce the level of fault placed on you for the accident. To place as much of the responsibility for your slip and fall accident on you, defendants will often try to say that:
- You should have noticed the hazardous condition
- You were not paying proper attention to your surroundings, for example you were engaged in a spirited conversation
- You were on a part of the property where patrons are not allowed
- Reasonable steps were taken to protect customers, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- You were wearing inappropriate or dangerous footwear
Hannibal, MO insurance companies have a lot of experience trying to place the blame for slip and fall accidents on the person who was injured. But an shrewd Halvorsen Klote Hannibal, MO slip and fall lawyer will fight back against them and prove negligence by the other party.
If you were on the job when you suffered your slip and fall injuries, you can file a a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the most common workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your recovery for your workplace accident through your workers’ compensation case and will also see if there's a third party who may be liable for your injuries.
What Are Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries in Hannibal, MO?
There are many hazardous conditions that can cause slip and fall injuries. Common causes of slip and falls include:
- Black ice
- Slippery surfaces, for example spilled liquid or a recently mopped floor
- Broken buildings, for example broken handrails or holes in the floor
- Poorly designed buildings, for example excessively steep stairs
- Stray wiring
Halvorsen Klote knows how to investigate claims and prove how the person in control of a property was negligent. If you were injured because of an unsafe property condition, don't hesitate to call us at 866-382-4167.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Claim Worth in Hannibal, MO?
How much you'll receive in compensation depends many different factors, including the financial losses you incurred because of your injuries, the effect the injuries had on your life and whether you were partially at fault for your injuries. Your financial recovery for any injury claim typically falls into two categories: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages compensate you for the monetary damages you have suffered due to your injuries. They include:
- Medical costs — You are owed compensation for all of your medical expenses related to your slip and fall accident, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Physical rehabilitation or chiropractic appointments
- Assistive devices such as crutches or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity — If you lost any wages when you were unable to work because of your injuries, you deserve to have that money repaid to you, even if your employer provides paid time off. If your injuries have life-long consequences that don't allow you to make the same income you used to, you also deserve compensation for the money you lost out on because of your injuries.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You also need to be compensated for any money you spent because of your injuries. That can include parking and gas costs when going to doctors' appointments, having to hire someone to help with household chores or needing to hire a nanny if you were unable to care for them while recovering.
It's important that you have a record of every penny you and your medical insurance paid, so we we will be able to get compensation for your full economic damages.
These refer to the less tangible ways an injury has affected you. Typically, slip and fall lawyers will make a demand for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you're used to tearing up your local rec league, and now have to miss the season, you deserve to be compensated for that. In most cases, we'll use the "multiplier method" to calculate non-economic damages, wherein your economic damages are multiples by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more your injuries affected you, the higher the number. Meaning that if your economic damages are $20,000, and your lawyer decides on a multiplier of three, your total compensation would be $60,000.
To prove non-economic damages, you can keep a journal of how your injuries affect your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who are familiar with what you usually do and how you usually feel.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience fighting and winning a wide scope of personal injury cases. Check out the links below to see what other cases we handle.
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Contact Your Hannibal, MO Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can bring about anything from minor inconvenience to lifelong complications. When you are harmed due to another person's negligence, it causes confusion and anger, especially when the liable party does not want to pay you the money you are entitled to. An HK Law Hannibal, MO slip and fall lawyer knows how insurance companies try to get out of paying you just compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Hannibal, MO if we are not able to get a fair settlement out of court. If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident, do not hesitate to reach out to us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.