Slip and Fall Lawyer Belleville, IL
Belleville, IL Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Belleville, IL. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident because a property owner did not keep their property free of dangerous or hazardous conditions, you require an experienced and knowledgeable Belleville, IL slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. We have countless settlements in the hundreds of thousands of dollars for our Belleville, IL clients. Businesses have a responsibility to ensure their property is safe for visitors, and when their property is unsafe they are responsible for paying you financial compensation. If you sustained an injury in a slip and fall accident, call your Belleville, IL slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the most common reason for an emergency room visit in the United States, and slip and fall injuries make up about 1 million visits per year. While it is sometimes hard to figure out who exactly is responsible for your slip and fall and how proceed with receiving compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will guide you through the injury claims process and get you the compensation you are entitled to. We charge no upfront fees, and if we cannot get you a fair settlement in negotiation we will take your case to court.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide variety of injuries that your Belleville, IL slip and fall lawyer will help you get compensation for. How much compensation you receive will be based on the gravity of your injury and how much of an impact it has on your life. Common injuries you can receive in a slip and fall accident include:
- Broken bones, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Some injuries are more serious than others, and how serious they are will affect your compensation. An injury to the nervous system may leave you disabled for the rest of your life, while a sprained knee might require a quick trip to a Belleville, IL emergency room and a week off work. No matter the scope of the impact your slip and fall accident had on your life, your Belleville, IL slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will make sure that you collect a full recovery. You deserve to be compensated for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost wages or diminished earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you suffered as a result of your slip and fall.
What a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Belleville, IL Can Do For Your Claim
An injury is always surprising, and most people don't know the first thing about the injury claims process. A talented Belleville, IL personal injury lawyer like ours will be able to step in and provide dedicated representation to get you the maximum compensation you are entitled to. When you hire us, we will:
- Conduct a full investigation into your claim, including obtaining video footage, take statements from eyewitnesses and coming up with a legal strategy to prove negligence
- Listen to what you have to say, so we can convey to the insurance company the full extent of your damages
- Take care of all documentation and communication with the liable party and insurance company, so you can spend your energy on your physical recovery
- Fight back when the liable party and insurance company try to say they aren't liable for your injuries
- Keep you involved at all times, and offer you advise based on our experience and knowledge while allowing you to make what you believe to be the best decision for you and your family
- Negotiate on your behalf for a full financial recovery
- Take your claim to trial if the insurance company won't be fair in negotiations
Whether your injuries were minor and you just want compensation for your expenses and the inconvenience, or your injuries are debilitating and you need compensation to cover for you lost earning potential, speak to a lawyer at Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to find out more about what we can do for your claim.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Belleville, IL, the relevant law is called "Premises Liability." People who are in control of properties have a duty to patrons or visitors to keep their properties without any hazardous conditions. If there is a dangerous condition, they must take steps to keep you safe from it. If you suffer a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other hazardous condition that the property owner failed to either fix or warn of, you can file a claim for negligence. Conclusively demonstrating negligence is a touch task, and necessitates the knowledge of an accomplished Belleville, IL slip and fall lawyer.
Belleville, IL has what is known as a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff can be judged to be partly responsible for their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will try to blame you for as much of the fault as possible. If they succeed, the full amount of compensation you are awarded will be significantly lowered. For example, if a jury finds that you should be awarded $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% at-fault for the accident, the amount of compensation you receive will be $40,000. That's why it is important to have a knowledgeable Belleville, IL slip and fall lawyer in your corner to help minimize the percentage of fault placed on you for your injury. To place as much of the responsibility for your slip and fall injury on you, defendants will commonly try to say that:
- You should have noticed the hazardous condition
- You were distracted, for example you were engaged in a spirited conversation
- You were on a part of the premises where visitors are not allowed
- Reasonable steps were taken to protect visitors, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- Your footwear was not appropriate for the surroundings
Belleville, IL insurance companies have had a lot of practice trying to place the blame for slip and fall accidents on the plaintiffs. But an talented Halvorsen Klote Belleville, IL slip and fall lawyer will help win the full compensation that you are owed.
If your slip and fall accident happened at work, you can file a a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the leading cause of workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your recovery for your workplace injury through your workers’ compensation claim and possible third party negligence claims.
What Causes Slip and Fall Injuries in Belleville, IL?
There are countless different property conditions that can cause slip and fall injuries. Common causes of slip and falls include:
- Icy or snowy sidewalks, parking lots or storefronts
- Wet surfaces, for example spilled liquid or a recently mopped floor
- Broken parts of a building, for example broken steps or floors that collapse easily
- Poorly designed buildings, for example uneven flooring
- Stray wiring
Halvorsen Klote has over a decade of experience investigating claims and proving how the person in control of a property caused your injuries. If you have medical bills and lost wages because of an unsafe property condition, don't hesitate to call us at 866-382-4167.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Claim Worth in Belleville, IL?
The value of your claim depends many different factors, including the financial losses you suffered because of your injuries, the effect the injuries had on your life and whether you share any of the responsibility for your fall. Your financial recovery for any injury claim usually is part of two different types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages compensate you for the financial losses you have sustained due to your slip and fall. They include:
- Medical expenses — You need to be reimbursed for any treatments you needed to heal, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Prescription or over-the-counter drugs
- Physical rehabilitation or chiropractic appointments
- Assistive devices such as braces or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity — If you had to miss time off work when you were unable to work because of your injuries, that will be included in your compensation, even if you had paid time off or sick leave available. If your injuries have life-long consequences that don't allow you to work at all anymore, you are entitled to a recovery for the money you lost out on because of your injuries.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You also need to be compensated for any money you spent because of your injuries. That can include parking and gas costs when going to doctors' appointments, having to hire help for household chores or having to send your kids to a daycare if you were unable to care for them while recovering.
It's important to keep detailed records and receipts of all of your receipts and bills, so we can demand a full recovery for all of your economic damages.
These refer to the ways your life has been affected that are harder to put a monetary value on. Usually, slip and fall lawyers seek compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you're used to tearing up your local rec league, and now have to miss the season, you deserve to be compensated for that. Typically, we'll use the "multiplier method" to calculate non-economic damages, wherein your economic damages are multiples by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more you suffered, the higher the number. Meaning that if your economic damages are $20,000, and a fact-finder decides on a multiplier of three, your total compensation would be $60,000.
To prove non-economic damages, you write down every day how your injuries are affecting your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who are familiar with what you usually do and how you usually feel.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience arguing and winning a wide array of personal injury cases. Check out the links below to see what other cases we handle.
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Contact Your Belleville, IL Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can cause anything from mild inconvenience to lifelong disabilities. When you are hurt owing to another person's negligence, it causes confusion and anger, especially when the negligent party does not want to pay you the recovery you are owed. An HK Law Belleville, IL slip and fall lawyer understands how insurance companies try to get out of paying you just compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Belleville, IL if we ever have to take your case to trial. If you've been hurt in a slip and fall accident, do not wait to reach out to us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.