Slip and Fall Lawyer Des Peres, MO
Des Peres, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Des Peres, MO. If you were hurt in a slip and fall incident because a property owner did not keep their property free of dangerous or hazardous conditions, trust in an accomplished and skilled Des Peres, MO slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. You should not have to pay when someone else in Des Peres, MO causes your injuries. Proprietors have an obligation to ensure their property is safe for visitors, and when they fail in that obligation they are responsible for giving you financial compensation. If you sustained an injury in a slip and fall accident, call a Des Peres, MO slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the leading cause of emergency room visits Nationwide, and slip and fall injuries make up 12 percent of those visits. While it is sometimes difficult to understand who exactly is liable for your slip and fall and how proceed with receiving compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will guide you through the injury claims process and secure the compensation you deserve. You owe us no fees unless we win your case, and if we cannot get you the recovery you need in a settlement we will argue your case in front of a judge and jury.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide array of injuries that your Des Peres, MO slip and fall lawyer will help you receive compensation for. The damages you are owed will depend on the gravity of your injury and the extent of the impact it has on your life. Some of the injuries we see most in slip and fall cases include:
- Broken bones, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Injuries vary greatly in how serious they are, and how severe they are will affect your financial recovery. An injury to the nervous system may leave you with a disability for the rest of your life, while a sprained ankle may only need a quick visit to a Des Peres, MO emergency room and a week off work. No matter the scope of the impact your injury had on your life, your Des Peres, MO slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will make sure that you collect every dollar you are owed. You are entitled to compensation for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost wages or diminished earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you experienced because of your slip and fall.
How a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Des Peres, MO Can Help
An injury is always unanticipated, and most people don't know the first thing about the injury claims process. A talented Des Peres, MO personal injury lawyer like ours will handle the legal aspect of your case and get you the full financial recovery you are owed. When you hire us, we will:
- Conduct an exhaustive investigation into the circumstances surrounding your accident, including obtaining security footage, taking depositions of eyewitnesses and coming up with a legal strategy to prove liability
- Take your thoughts into consideration, so we know how much to demand from the insurance company
- Take care of all all the legal aspects of your claim, so you can focus on getting better
- Stand up to the insurance company when they try to avoid paying your claim
- Be in constant communication, and offer you sound legal counsel while allowing you to make what you feel is the best decision for you and your family
- Negotiate with the insurance company for maximum compensation
- Take your claim to trial if the insurance company won't be fair in negotiations
Whether your injuries are not severe and you just want the liable party to be fair, or you suffered permanent disability and need financial security, call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to discover more about what we can do for your claim.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Des Peres, MO, the relevant law is called "Premises Liability." Property owners have a duty to patrons or visitors to keep their properties free of any hazardous conditions. If there is a hazardous condition, they must take steps to keep you safe from it. If you sustain a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other dangerous condition that the property owner failed to either fix or warn of, you have a case for premises liability. Conclusively demonstrating negligence is a touch task, and requires the savvy of an accomplished Des Peres, MO slip and fall lawyer.
Des Peres, MO has what is known as a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff can be judged to be somewhat responsible for their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will endeavor to blame you for as much of the fault as possible. If they succeed, the full amount of recovery you receive will be substantially lowered. For example, if a jury finds that you should be compensated $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% liable for the accident, the amount of compensation you are awarded will be $40,000. That's why it is important to have a skilled Des Peres, MO slip and fall lawyer by your side to help decrease the amount of fault placed on you for the accident. To place as much of the blame for your slip and fall accident on you, defendants will often try to say that:
- The hazardous condition on the property should have been obvious to you
- You were distracted, for example you were engaged in a spirited conversation
- You were on a part of the premises where customers are not allowed
- Suitable steps were taken to protect visitors, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- Your footwear was not appropriate for the surroundings
Des Peres, MO insurance companies have had a lot of practice trying to pin the blame for slip and fall accidents on the plaintiffs. But an talented Halvorsen Klote Des Peres, MO slip and fall lawyer will help collect the full compensation that you are owed.
If your slip and fall accident transpired at work, you can file a a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the most common workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your compensation for your workplace accident through your workers’ compensation claim and will also see if there's a third party who may be liable for your injuries.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents in Des Peres, MO?
There are countless different property conditions that can cause slip and fall injuries. Speak to an injury attorney right away if you were injured because of:
- Black ice
- Slippery surfaces, for example if something was spilled or a floor cleaned with a slippery product
- Broken buildings, for example broken handrails or floors that collapse easily
- Poorly designed buildings, for example excessively steep stairs
- Loose wiring
Halvorsen Klote knows how to investigate claims and prove how the person in control of a property caused your injuries. If you were injured because someone did not keep their property safe, speak to a lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Claim Worth in Des Peres, MO?
The value of your claim depends on a variety of factors, including the financial losses you suffered because of the accident, how your injuries affected your mentally and physically and whether you share a portion of the blame. The compensation you receive for any injury claim usually is part of two different types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages are meant to reimburse you for the financial losses you have suffered as a result of your slip and fall. They include:
- Medical expenses — You need to be reimbursed for any treatments you needed in your recovery, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Prescription or over-the-counter drugs
- Physical rehabilitation or chiropractic appointments
- Assistive devices such as braces or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity — If you had to miss time off work while you were recovering from your injuries, that will be included in your compensation, even if your employer offers paid time off. If your injuries have life-long consequences that don't allow you to make the same earnings you used to, you also deserve compensation for the money you lost out on because of your injuries.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You also need to be compensated for any money you spent because of your injuries. That can include parking and gas costs when going to doctors' appointments, having to pay a cleaning service for standard chores or needing to hire a nanny to watch over your children.
It's essential that you have a record of every dime you and your medical insurance paid, so we can demand a full recovery for all of your economic damages.
These refer to the less tangible ways an injury has affected you. Typically, slip and fall lawyers look for compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you love playing piano and had to wear a cast on your arm for four months, you are entitled to a financial recovery equal to the amount you suffered. In most cases, we'll use the "multiplier method" to calculate non-economic damages, wherein your economic damages are multiples by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more you suffered, the more your economic damages will be multiplied by. Meaning that if your economic damages total $20,000, and your lawyer decides on a multiplier of three, you would receive a $60,000 payout.
To demonstrate non-economic damages to an insurance company or jury, you can keep a journal of how your injuries affect your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who know about your life before and after the slip and fall.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience getting great results for our Des Peres, MO clients in a variety of personal injury cases. Clink on the links below to see more about the services we offer.
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Contact Your Des Peres, MO Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can bring about anything from minor inconvenience to lifelong difficulties. When you are harmed because of somebody else's negligence, it leads to confusion and anger, especially when the liable party does not want to pay you the recovery you are entitled to. An HK Law Des Peres, MO slip and fall lawyer understands how insurance companies try to avoid paying you fair compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Des Peres, MO if we ever have to take your case to trial. If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident, do not wait to get in touch with us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.