Slip and Fall Lawyer Fairview Heights, IL
Fairview Heights, IL Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Fairview Heights, IL. If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident because someone did not keep their property reasonably safe, trust in an experienced and talented Fairview Heights, IL slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. We have countless settlements in the hundreds of thousands of dollars for our Fairview Heights, IL clients. Businesses have a duty to make sure their property is safe for visitors, and when their property is unsafe they owe you damages. If you sustained an injury in a slip and fall accident, call your Fairview Heights, IL slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the most common reason for an emergency room visit in the United States, and slip and fall injuries account for 12 percent of those visits. While it is sometimes complicated to figure out who exactly is liable for your slip and fall and how proceed with receiving compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will help you navigate the complicated legal process and secure the compensation you deserve. We charge no upfront fees, and if we cannot secure a fair settlement in negotiation we will take your case to court.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide variety of injuries that your Fairview Heights, IL slip and fall lawyer will help you receive compensation for. How much compensation you collect will depend on the seriousness of your injury and how much of an impact it has on your life. Some of the injuries we see most in slip and fall cases include:
- Fractures, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Some injuries are more severe than others, and how serious they are will impact your compensation. An injury to the nervous system may leave you in a wheelchair for the rest of your life, while a sprained knee may only need a quick visit to a Fairview Heights, IL emergency room and limited time off work. Regardless of the scope of the impact your slip and fall accident had on your life, your Fairview Heights, IL slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will make sure that you are awarded every dollar you are owed. You are entitled to compensation for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost wages or diminished earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you suffered as a result of your slip and fall.
What a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Fairview Heights, IL Can Do For Your Claim
No one expects to suddenly become injured. A talented Fairview Heights, IL personal injury lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote will handle the legal aspect of your case and get you the full financial recovery you are owed. When you hire us, we will:
- Conduct an exhaustive investigation into the circumstances surrounding your injuries, including obtaining video footage, locating eyewitnesses and coming up with a legal strategy to prove liability
- Take your thoughts into consideration, so we know what true compensation really means
- Handle all all the legal aspects of your claim, so you can focus on getting better
- Stand up to the insurance company when they try to devalue your claim
- Be in constant communication, and offer you sound legal counsel while leaving the ultimate decisions about your claim to you
- Negotiate on your behalf for a full financial recovery
- Take your case in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company won't be fair in negotiations
Whether your injuries were minor and you just want compensation for your expenses and the inconvenience, or you suffered permanent disability and need compensation to cover for inability to make a living as you used to, call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to discover more about what we do for injury victims.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Fairview Heights, IL, the pertinent law is called "Premises Liability." Property managers have a duty to patrons or visitors to keep their properties safe. If there is a dangerous condition, they must take steps to keep you safe from it. If you receive a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other dangerous condition that the property owner neglected to either fix or warn of, you can file a claim for premises liability. Conclusively demonstrating negligence is a complicated task, and necessitates the skill of an accomplished Fairview Heights, IL slip and fall lawyer.
Fairview Heights, IL has what's called a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff may bear some legal responsibility their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will endeavor to blame you for as much of the fault as possible. If they're successful, the full amount of money you receive will be substantially less than it could be. For instance, if a jury finds that you should be compensated $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% liable for the accident, the amount of compensation you collect will be $40,000. That's why it is important to have a skilled Fairview Heights, IL slip and fall lawyer by your side to help minimize the amount of fault placed on you for the accident. To place as much of the blame for your slip and fall injury on you, defendants will commonly try to say that:
- You should have noticed the dangerous condition
- You were distracted, for example you were engaged in a spirited conversation
- You were on a part of the property that is off-limits to patrons
- Reasonable steps were taken to protect visitors, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- Your footwear was not appropriate for the property
Fairview Heights, IL insurance companies have had a lot of practice trying to place the blame for slip and fall accidents on the plaintiffs. But an talented Halvorsen Klote Fairview Heights, IL slip and fall lawyer will stand up to them and prove negligence by the other party.
If your slip and fall accident occurred at work, you can file a a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the most common workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your recovery for your workplace injury through your workers’ compensation case and possible third party negligence claims.
What Are Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries in Fairview Heights, IL?
There are countless hazardous conditions that can cause someone to fall and become injured. Speak to an injury attorney right away if you were injured because of:
- Black ice
- Slippery surfaces, for example spilled liquid or a recently mopped floor
- Broken parts of a building, for example broken steps or floors that collapse easily
- Poorly designed buildings, for example excessively steep flooring
- Loose wiring
Halvorsen Klote has more than 10 years of experience investigating claims and proving how a property owner or manager is liable for your injuries. If you were injured because someone did not keep their property safe, call Halvorsen Klote as soon as possible at 866-382-4167.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Claim Worth in Fairview Heights, IL?
How much you'll receive in compensation depends many different factors, including the financial losses you incurred because of your injuries, how your injuries affected your emotionally and physically and whether you were partially at fault for your injuries. Your financial recovery for any injury claim usually falls into two categories: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages are intended to reimburse you for the financial losses you have sustained due to your injuries. They include:
- Medical expenses — You need to be reimbursed for all of your medical expenses related to your slip and fall accident, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Prescription or over-the-counter drugs
- Physical rehabilitation or chiropractic appointments
- Assistive devices such as braces or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity — If you had to miss time off work while you were recovering from your injuries, you deserve to have that money repaid to you, even if you had paid time off or sick leave available. If your injuries result in permanent disability that doesn't allow you to earn a living as you used to, you are entitled to a recovery for the money you would have earned had you not been injured.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You may have had more expenses related to your injuries. Examples can include transportation costs to and from medical treatments, having to hire help for household chores or having to send your kids to a daycare if you were unable to care for them while recovering.
It's important that you have a record of every dime you and your medical insurance paid, so we we will be able to get compensation for your full economic damages.
These refer to the ways your life has been affected that are harder to put a monetary value on. Usually, slip and fall lawyers will make a demand for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you're used to tearing up your local softball league, and now have to miss the season, you deserve to be compensated for that. Typically, non-economic damages are calculated by multiplying your economic damages by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more you suffered, the more your economic damages will be multiplied by. So if your economic damages are $20,000, and a fact-finder decides on a multiplier of three, you would receive a $60,000 payout.
To demonstrate non-economic damages to an insurance adjuster or jury, you write down every day how your injuries are affecting your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who know about your life before and after the slip and fall.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience fighting and winning a wide array of personal injury cases. Clink on the links below to see what other cases we handle.
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Contact Your Fairview Heights, IL Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can bring about anything from mild inconvenience to lifelong complications. When you are injured as a result of somebody else's negligence, it causes confusion and anger, especially when the responsible party does not want to pay you the compensation you are owed. An HK Law Fairview Heights, IL slip and fall lawyer knows how insurance companies try to get out of paying you fair compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Fairview Heights, IL if we are not able to get a fair settlement out of court. If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident, do not wait to reach out to us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.