Slip and Fall Lawyer Springfield, MO
Springfield, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Springfield, MO. If you were injured in a slip and fall incident because a property owner did not keep their property free of dangerous or hazardous conditions, you need an experienced and knowledgeable Springfield, MO slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. You should not have to pay when someone else in Springfield, MO causes your injuries. Businesses have a duty to make sure their property is safe for people who are on it legally, and when they fail in that duty they owe you damages. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, call your Springfield, MO slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the leading cause of emergency room visits in the United States, and slip and fall accidents make up 12 percent of those visits. While it is often complicated to figure out who exactly is liable for your slip and fall and how to go about getting compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will guide you through the injury claims process and secure the compensation you deserve. You owe us no fees unless we win your case, and if we cannot secure a fair settlement in negotiation we will fight for you at trial.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide array of injuries that your Springfield, MO slip and fall lawyer will help you collect compensation for. How much compensation you receive will be based on the seriousness of your injury and the extent of the impact it has on your life. Common injuries you can experience in a slip and fall accident are:
- Broken bones, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Some injuries are more serious than others, and how severe they are will affect your financial recovery. An injury to the nervous system may leave you disabled for years, while a sprained ankle may require a quick trip to a Springfield, MO emergency room and a week off work. Whatever the scope of the effect your slip and fall accident had on your life, your Springfield, MO slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will make certain that you receive a full recovery. You are entitled to compensation for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost wages or lowered earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you experienced because of your slip and fall.
What a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Springfield, MO Can Do For Your Claim
for the majority of our clients this is the first time they've had to seek compensation for an injury. A knowledgeable Springfield, MO personal injury lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote will handle the legal aspect of your case and get you the full financial recovery you deserve. When you hire us, we will:
- Conduct a complete investigation into your claim, for example obtaining video footage, locating eyewitnesses and coming up with a legal strategy to prove negligence
- Listen to what you have to say, so we can convey to the insurance company the full extent of your damages
- Handle all all the legal aspects of your claim, so you can focus on getting better
- Stand up to the insurance company when they try to say they aren't liable for your injuries
- Keep you involved at all times, and offer you advise based on our experience and knowledge while leaving the ultimate decisions about your claim to you
- Negotiate on your behalf for a full financial recovery
- Take your claim in front of a judge and jury if the insurance company won't be fair in negotiations
Whether your injuries are not severe and you just want the liable party to be fair, or you suffered permanent disability and need compensation to cover for you lost earning potential, speak to a lawyer at Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to learn more about what we can do for your claim.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Springfield, MO, the relevant law is called "Premises Liability." Property owners have a obligations to patrons or visitors to keep their properties safe. If there is a dangerous condition, they must take steps to keep you safe from it. If you receive a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other dangerous condition that the property owner neglected to either fix or warn of, you have a case for to get compensation. Conclusively demonstrating negligence is a difficult task, and necessitates the skill of a talented Springfield, MO slip and fall lawyer.
Springfield, MO has what's called a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff may bear some liability their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will attempt to blame you for as much of the fault as possible. If they're successful, the full amount of recovery you receive will be considerably lowered. For example, if a jury finds that you should be compensated $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% responsible for the accident, the amount of compensation you are awarded will be $40,000. That's why it is imperative to have a knowledgeable Springfield, MO slip and fall lawyer in your corner to help decrease the amount of fault placed on you for the accident. To place as much of the liability for your slip and fall injury on you, defendants will commonly try to say that:
- The dangerous condition on the property should have been obvious to you
- You were distracted, for example you were engaged in a spirited conversation
- You were on a part of the property that is off-limits to customers
- Suitable measures were taken to keep you safe, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- You were wearing inappropriate or dangerous footwear
Springfield, MO insurance companies have had a lot of practice trying to place the blame for slip and fall accidents on the person who was injured. But an astute Halvorsen Klote Springfield, MO slip and fall lawyer will fight back against them and prove negligence by the other party.
If your slip and fall accident occurred at work, you can file a a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the most common workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your recovery for your workplace accident through your workers’ compensation case and will also see if there's a third party who may be liable for your injuries.
What Are Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries in Springfield, MO?
There are many dangerous conditions that can cause someone to fall and become injured. Common causes of slip and falls include:
- Icy or snowy sidewalks, parking lots or storefronts
- Wet surfaces, for example spilled liquid or a recently mopped floor
- Broken parts of a building, for example broken handrails or floors that collapse easily
- Poorly designed buildings, for example excessively steep stairs
- Stray cords
Halvorsen Klote has more than 10 years of experience investigating claims and proving how a property owner or manager was negligent. If you have medical bills and lost wages because of an unsafe property condition, call Halvorsen Klote as soon as possible at 866-382-4167.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Claim Worth in Springfield, MO?
How much you'll receive in compensation is based on many different factors, including the financial losses you incurred because of the accident, the effect the injuries had on your life and whether you share a portion of the blame. Your financial recovery for any injury claim usually falls into two categories: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages are intended to reimburse you for the monetary damages you have suffered as a result of your injuries. They include:
- Medical bills — You are owed compensation for all of your medical expenses related to your slip and fall accident, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Prescription or over-the-counter drugs
- Physical therapy or chiropractic appointments
- Assistive devices such as crutches or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity — If you had to miss time off work while you were recovering from your injuries, that will be included in your compensation, even if your employer offers sick leave. If your injuries have life-long consequences that don't allow you to work at all anymore, you are entitled to a recovery for the money you would have earned had you not been injured.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You may have had more expenses related to your injuries. That can include parking and gas costs when going to medical treatments, having to pay a cleaning service for standard chores or having to send your kids to a daycare to care for your children.
It's essential that you have a record of every dollar you and your medical insurance paid, so we we will be able to get compensation for your full economic damages.
These refer to the ways your life has been affected that are harder to put a monetary value on. Typically, slip and fall lawyers will make a demand for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you love playing piano and had to wear a cast on your hand for four months, you deserve to be compensated for that. In most cases, we'll use the "multiplier method" to calculate non-economic damages, wherein your economic damages are multiples by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more your injuries affected you, the higher the number. So if your economic damages are $20,000, and your lawyer decides on a multiplier of three, your total compensation would be $60,000.
To prove non-economic damages, you can keep a journal of how your injuries affect your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who know about your life before and after the slip and fall.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience arguing and winning a wide variety of personal injury cases. Take a look at the links below to see what other cases we handle.
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Contact Your Springfield, MO Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can occasion anything from minor inconvenience to lifelong complications. When you are harmed because of somebody else's negligence, it leads to confusion and anger, particularly when the negligent party does not want to pay you the money you deserve. An HK Law Springfield, MO slip and fall lawyer knows how insurance companies try to avoid paying you fair compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Springfield, MO if we are not able to get a fair settlement out of court. If you've been hurt in a slip and fall accident, do not wait to reach out to us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.