Slip and Fall Lawyer Edwardsville, IL
Edwardsville, IL Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Edwardsville, IL. If you were hurt in a slip and fall incident because a property manager did not keep their property reasonably safe, you need an experienced and skilled Edwardsville, IL slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. You should not have to pay when someone else in Edwardsville, IL causes your injuries. Businesses have a duty to ensure their property is safe for people who are on it legally, and when they neglect that obligation they are responsible for giving you financial compensation. If you received an injury in a slip and fall accident, call your Edwardsville, IL slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the most common reason for an emergency room visit in the United States, and slip and fall injuries account for about 1 million visits per year. While it can be difficult to know who exactly is liable for your slip and fall and how to go about collecting compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will guide you through the injury claims process and get you the compensation you are owed. We charge no upfront fees, and if we cannot secure the compensation you need in a settlement we will take your case to court.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide range of injuries that your Edwardsville, IL slip and fall lawyer will help you collect compensation for. The damages you are owed will depend on the severity of your injury and the extent of the effect it has on your life. Common injuries you can receive in a slip and fall accident are:
- Fractures, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Injuries vary greatly in how serious they are, and how serious they are will affect your compensation. A spinal cord injury or traumatic brain injury may leave you in a wheelchair for the rest of your life, while a sprained wrist might require a quick visit to a Edwardsville, IL emergency room and limited time off work. Regardless of the the extent of the impact your slip and fall accident had on your life, your Edwardsville, IL slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will make certain that you collect every dollar you are owed. You are entitled to compensation for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost pay or lowered earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you suffered because of your slip and fall.
How a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Edwardsville, IL Can Help
An injury is always unexpected, and most people have never had to deal with making an injury claim before. A knowledgeable Edwardsville, IL personal injury lawyer like ours will handle the legal aspect of your case and get you the maximum compensation you deserve. Upon enlisting our services, we will:
- Perform a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding your accident, for example obtaining video footage, take statements from eyewitnesses and applying the law to prove liability
- Take your thoughts into consideration, so we know what true compensation really means
- Take care of all all the legal aspects of your claim, so you can focus on your physical recovery
- Fight back when the liable party and insurance company try to say they aren't liable for your injuries
- Have an open line of communication with you, and offer you sound legal counsel while leaving the ultimate decisions about your claim to you
- Negotiate with the insurance company for the best possible settlement
- Take your case to trial if we cannot secure fair compensation in a settlement
Whether your injuries are not severe and you just want compensation for your expenses and the inconvenience, or you suffered permanent disability and need financial security, speak to a lawyer at Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to learn more about what we can do for your claim.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Edwardsville, IL, the applicable law is called "Premises Liability." Property managers have a obligations to patrons or visitors to keep their properties without any dangerous conditions. If there is a dangerous condition, they must take steps to keep you safe from it. If you receive a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other dangerous condition that the property owner failed to either repair or warn of, you have a case for to get compensation. Proving negligence is a complicated task, and requires the knowledge of an accomplished Edwardsville, IL slip and fall lawyer.
Edwardsville, IL has what is known as a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff can be judged to be partly responsible for their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will endeavor to put as much responsibility for the injury on you as possible. If they're successful, the full amount of money you are awarded will be substantially lowered. For example, if a jury finds that you should be compensated $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% at-fault for the accident, the amount of compensation you are awarded will be $40,000. That's why it is essential to have a skilled Edwardsville, IL slip and fall lawyer by your side to help reduce the amount of fault placed on you for the accident. To place as much of the blame for your slip and fall accident on you, defendants will often try to say that:
- The hazardous condition on the property should have been obvious to you
- You were not paying proper attention to your surroundings, for example you were engaged in a spirited conversation
- You were on a part of the property where customers are not allowed
- Reasonable measures were taken to protect patrons, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- You were utilizing inappropriate or dangerous footwear
Edwardsville, IL insurance companies have a lot of experience trying to pin the blame for slip and fall accidents on the person who was injured. But an expert Halvorsen Klote Edwardsville, IL slip and fall lawyer will fight back against them and prove liability by the other party.
If your slip and fall accident happened at work, you can file a a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the most common workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your compensation for your workplace injury through your workers’ compensation case and will also see if there's a third party who may be liable for your injuries.
What Are Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Edwardsville, IL?
There are countless different property conditions that can cause slip and fall injuries. You may be able to file a slip and fall claim if you were injured because of:
- Icy or snowy sidewalks, parking lots or storefronts
- Wet surfaces, for example spilled liquid or a floor cleaned with a slippery product
- Broken parts of a building, for example broken steps or loose floorboards
- Poorly constructed buildings, for example excessively steep stairs
- Stray cords
Halvorsen Klote knows how to investigate claims and prove how the person in control of a property caused your injuries. If you were injured because someone did not keep their property safe, speak to a lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Claim Worth in Edwardsville, IL?
The value of your claim is based on many different factors, including the financial losses you incurred because of your injuries, the effect the injuries had on your life and whether you were partially at fault for your injuries. The compensation you receive for any injury claim generally falls into two categories: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages are intended to reimburse you for the financial losses you have suffered due to your slip and fall. They include:
- Medical costs — You are owed compensation for all of your medical expenses related to your slip and fall accident, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Prescription or over-the-counter drugs
- Physical rehabilitation or chiropractic care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity — If you had to miss time off work when you were unable to work because of your injuries, you deserve to have that money repaid to you, even if you had paid time off or sick leave available. If your injuries result in permanent disability that doesn't allow you to work at all anymore, you also deserve compensation for reduced earning potential.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You also need to be compensated for any money you spent because of your injuries. That can include parking and gas costs when going to doctors' appointments, having to pay a cleaning service for standard chores or having to send your kids to a daycare if you were unable to care for them while recovering.
It's important to keep detailed records and receipts of all of your receipts and bills, so we can demand a full recovery for all of your economic damages.
These refer to the less tangible ways an injury has affected you. Typically, slip and fall lawyers will make a demand for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you love playing guitar and had to wear a cast on your hand for four months, you are entitled to a financial recovery equal to the amount you suffered. In most cases, non-economic damages are calculated by multiplying your economic damages by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more you suffered, the more your economic damages will be multiplied by. Meaning that if your economic damages are $20,000, and your lawyer decides on a multiplier of three, you would receive a $60,000 financial recovery.
To prove non-economic damages, you can keep a journal of how your injuries affect your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who are familiar with what you usually do and how you usually feel.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience arguing and winning a wide variety of personal injury cases. Check out the links below to see more about the services we offer.
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Contact Your Edwardsville, IL Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can cause anything from mild inconvenience to lifelong difficulties. When you are hurt because of somebody else's negligence, it causes confusion and anger, particularly when the responsible party does not want to pay you the recovery you are owed. An HK Law Edwardsville, IL slip and fall lawyer knows how insurance companies try to get out of paying you fair compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Edwardsville, IL if we are not able to get a fair settlement out of court. If you've been hurt in a slip and fall accident, do not hesitate to reach out to us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.