Slip and Fall Lawyer Lake St. Louis, MO
Lake St. Louis, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Lake St. Louis, MO. If you were hurt in a slip and fall incident because someone did not keep their property free of dangerous or hazardous conditions, you require an accomplished and savvy Lake St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. We have countless settlements in the hundreds of thousands of dollars for our Lake St. Louis, MO clients. Property owners and managers have an obligation to ensure their property is safe for people who are on it legally, and when their property is unsafe they are responsible for giving you financial compensation. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, call your Lake St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the most common reason for an emergency room visit Nationwide, and slip and fall injuries make up about 1 million visits per year. While it can be hard to understand who exactly is responsible for your slip and fall and how proceed with collecting compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will guide you through the injury claims process and secure the compensation you are owed. We charge no upfront fees, and if we cannot get you a fair settlement in negotiation we will fight for you at trial.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide array of injuries that your Lake St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer will help you get compensation for. The damages you are owed will depend on the gravity of your injury and the extent of the effect it has on your life. Common injuries you can experience in a slip and fall accident are:
- Fractures, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Some injuries are more serious than others, and how serious they are will affect your compensation. A spinal cord injury or traumatic brain injury may leave you with a disability for years, while a sprained ankle might only need a quick visit to a Lake St. Louis, MO emergency room and a week off work. Whatever the the extent of the impact your injury had on your life, your Lake St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will make certain that you collect a full recovery. You are entitled to compensation for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost pay or lowered earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you experienced because of your slip and fall.
How a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Lake St. Louis, MO Can Help
for the majority of our clients this is the first time they've had to seek compensation for an injury. An experienced Lake St. Louis, MO personal injury lawyer like ours will be able to step in and provide dedicated representation to get you the maximum compensation you deserve. Upon enlisting our services, we will:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into your claim, including obtaining video footage, taking depositions of eyewitnesses and developing a legal strategy to prove negligence
- Listen to what you have to say, so we can convey to the insurance company the full extent of your damages
- Take care of all documentation and communication with the liable party and insurance company, so you can spend your energy on healing
- Fight back when the liable party and insurance company try to say they aren't liable for your injuries
- Be in constant communication, and provide you with sound legal counsel while allowing you to make what you believe to be the best decision for you and your family
- Negotiate with the insurance company for a full financial recovery
- Take your case to trial if the insurance company won't be fair in negotiations
Whether your injuries are not severe and you just want compensation for your expenses and the inconvenience, or your injuries are debilitating and you need compensation to cover for inability to make a living as you used to, call Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to find out more about what we can do for your claim.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Lake St. Louis, MO, the pertinent law is called "Premises Liability." Property owners have a responsibility to patrons or visitors to keep their properties without any hazardous conditions. If there is a dangerous condition, they must warn you of it and do what they can to fix it. If you sustain a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other hazardous condition that the property owner neglected to either fix or warn of, you can file a claim for premises liability. Conclusively demonstrating negligence is a touch task, and requires the skill of an accomplished Lake St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer.
Lake St. Louis, MO has what is known as a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff may bear some liability their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will endeavor to blame you for as much of the fault as possible. If they succeed, the full amount of money you receive will be substantially lowered. For example, if a jury finds that you should be compensated $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% liable for the accident, the amount of compensation you receive will be $40,000. That's why it is important to have a savvy Lake St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer in your corner to help reduce the level of fault placed on you for your injury. To place as much of the blame for your slip and fall accident on you, defendants will frequently try to say that:
- You should have noticed the dangerous condition
- You were distracted, for example you were looking at your phone
- You were on a part of the property where visitors are not allowed
- Suitable steps were taken to protect visitors, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- Your footwear was not appropriate for the property
Lake St. Louis, MO insurance companies have a lot of experience trying to place the blame for slip and fall accidents on the plaintiffs. But an astute Halvorsen Klote Lake St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer will stand up to them and prove negligence by the other party.
If your slip and fall accident happened at work, you may be entitled to a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the most common workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your compensation for your workplace accident through your workers’ compensation case and will also see if there's a third party who may be liable for your injuries.
What Causes Slip and Fall Injuries in Lake St. Louis, MO?
There are many hazardous conditions that can cause someone to fall and become injured. Speak to an injury attorney right away if you were injured because of:
- Black ice
- Slippery surfaces, for example if something was spilled or a floor cleaned with a slippery product
- Broken buildings, for example broken steps or holes in the floor
- Poorly constructed buildings, for example uneven flooring
- Stray cords
Halvorsen Klote knows how to investigate claims and prove how the person in control of a property was negligent. If you were injured because someone did not keep their property safe, speak to a lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive for My Slip and Fall in Lake St. Louis, MO?
How much you'll receive in compensation depends many different factors, including how much your injuries cost you financially, the effect the injuries had on your life and whether you share a portion of the responsibility for your fall. Your financial recovery for any injury claim typically is part of two different types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages are meant to reimburse you for the financial losses you have sustained as a result of your slip and fall. They include:
- Medical bills — You need to be reimbursed for any treatments you needed in your recovery, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Prescription or over-the-counter drugs
- Physical rehabilitation or chiropractic care
- Assistive devices such as braces or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity — If you lost any wages while you were recovering from your injuries, you deserve to have that money repaid to you, even if you had paid time off or sick leave available. If your injuries result in permanent disability that doesn't allow you to earn a living as you used to, you are entitled to a recovery for the money you lost out on because of your injuries.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You also need to be compensated for any money you spent because of your injuries. Examples can include transportation costs to and from doctors' appointments, having to pay a cleaning service for standard chores or needing to hire a nanny to watch over your children.
It's essential that you have a record of every dollar you and your medical insurance paid, so we we will be able to get compensation for your full economic damages.
These refer to the ways your life has been affected that are harder to put a monetary value on. Typically, slip and fall lawyers look for compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you love playing piano and had to wear a cast on your hand for four months, you are entitled to a financial recovery equal to the amount you suffered. Typically, non-economic damages are calculated by multiplying your economic damages by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more you suffered, the higher the number. So if your economic damages total $20,000, and your lawyer decides on a multiplier of three, your total compensation would be $60,000.
To demonstrate non-economic damages to an insurance company or jury, you can keep a journal of how your injuries affect your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who know about your life before and after the slip and fall.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience fighting and winning a wide scope of personal injury cases. Check out the links below to see what other cases we handle.
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Contact Your Lake St. Louis, MO Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can occasion anything from minor inconvenience to lifelong disabilities. When you are injured owing to another person's negligence, it leads to confusion and anger, particularly when the responsible party does not want to pay you the recovery you are entitled to. An HK Law Lake St. Louis, MO slip and fall lawyer knows how insurance companies try to avoid paying you fair compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Lake St. Louis, MO if we are not able to get a fair settlement out of court. If you've been hurt in a slip and fall accident, do not wait to reach out to us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.