Slip and Fall Lawyer Columbia, MO
Columbia, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review.
Slip and Fall Lawyer Columbia, MO. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident because a property manager did not keep their property free of dangerous or hazardous conditions, trust in an experienced and skilled Columbia, MO slip and fall lawyer like those at Halvorsen Klote. You should not have to pay when someone else in Columbia, MO causes your injuries. Proprietors have a duty to ensure their property is safe for visitors, and when their property is unsafe they are responsible for giving you financial compensation. If you received an injury in a slip and fall accident, call your Columbia, MO slip and fall lawyer at 866-382-4167 or contact us online today.
Falls are the most common reason for an emergency room visit Nationwide, and slip and fall injuries make up 12 percent of those visits. While it is sometimes hard to figure out who exactly is responsible for your slip and fall and how proceed with receiving compensation, the slip and fall lawyers at Halvorsen Klote will help you navigate the labyrinthine legal process and secure the financial recovery you are entitled to. You owe us no fees unless we win your case, and if we cannot get you the recovery you need in a settlement we will fight for you at trial.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
There are a wide array of injuries that your Columbia, MO slip and fall lawyer will help you collect compensation for. How much compensation you receive will depend on the severity of your injury and the consequences it has for other parts of your life. Some of the injuries we see most in slip and fall cases include:
- Broken bones, most commonly:
- Soft tissue injuries, such as:
- Ligament or tendon tears
- Muscle strains
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Knee and ankle injuries, especially if you twist as you fall
- Back, neck and spine injuries, including:
- Herniated, slipped, fragmented or bulging discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Injuries vary greatly in how serious they are, and how severe they are will impact your financial recovery. A spinal cord injury or traumatic brain injury may leave you in a wheelchair for the rest of your life, while a sprained ankle may only need a quick visit to a Columbia, MO emergency room and limited time off work. No matter the the extent of the impact your injury had on your life, your Columbia, MO slip and fall lawyer at HK Law will make sure that you receive a full recovery. You are entitled to compensation for all of your damages including medical expenses past and future, any lost wages or diminished earning potential and any pain and suffering or mental anguish you suffered as a result of your slip and fall.
What a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Columbia, MO Can Do For Your Claim
for the majority of our clients this is the first time they've made an injury claim. A knowledgeable Columbia, MO personal injury lawyer like ours will be able to step in and provide dedicated representation to get you the maximum compensation you are owed. Upon enlisting our services, we will:
- Carry out a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding your injuries, including obtaining video footage, taking depositions of eyewitnesses and applying the law to prove negligence
- Take your thoughts into consideration, so we know what true compensation really means
- Take care of all documentation and communication with the liable party and insurance company, so you can focus on healing
- Stand up to the insurance company when they try to say they aren't liable for your injuries
- Have an open line of communication with you, and provide you with advise based on our experience and knowledge while allowing you to make what you believe to be the best decision for you and your family
- Negotiate on your behalf for a full financial recovery
- Take your claim to court if the insurance company won't be fair in negotiations
Whether your injuries are not severe and you just want the liable party to be fair, or you suffered permanent disability and need financial security, speak to a lawyer at Halvorsen Klote today at 866-382-4167 to discover more about what we do for those who have been injured due to another's negligence.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
In Columbia, MO, the applicable law is called "Premises Liability." Property managers have a responsibility to patrons or visitors to keep their properties free of any dangerous conditions. If there is a dangerous condition, they must take steps to keep you safe from it. If you sustain a slip and fall injury because of loose wiring, black ice, a bulging area of the floor, an unmarked wet floor or any other hazardous condition that the property owner failed to either repair or warn of, you have a case for to get compensation. Conclusively demonstrating negligence is a complicated task, and requires the savvy of a talented Columbia, MO slip and fall lawyer.
Columbia, MO has what's called a "comparative negligence" law, meaning that a plaintiff can be judged to be somewhat responsible for their personal injury. In any settlement or trial, a defendant will try to put as much responsibility for the injury on you as possible. If they succeed, the full amount of compensation you are awarded will be substantially less than it could be. For example, if a jury finds that you should be compensated $50,000 for all of your damages, but that you were 20% responsible for the accident, the amount of compensation you receive will be $40,000. That's why it is important to have a skilled Columbia, MO slip and fall lawyer in your corner to help decrease the level of fault placed on you for the accident. To place as much of the liability for your slip and fall accident on you, defendants will commonly try to say that:
- The hazardous condition on the property should have been obvious to you
- You were not paying sufficient attention to your surroundings, for example you were looking at your phone
- You were on a part of the premises where patrons are not allowed
- Suitable steps were taken to protect visitors, for example a "wet floor" sign by a puddle
- Your footwear was not appropriate for the surroundings
Columbia, MO insurance companies have had a lot of practice trying to place the blame for slip and fall accidents on the plaintiffs. But an shrewd Halvorsen Klote Columbia, MO slip and fall lawyer will stand up to them and prove negligence by the other party.
If your slip and fall accident occurred at work, you may be entitled to a workers' compensation claim. Slip and falls are the most common workers' compensation claims. Your Halvorsen Klote slip and fall lawyer will help you maximize your recovery for your workplace accident through your workers’ compensation claim and will also see if there's a third party who may be liable for your injuries.
What Are Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Columbia, MO?
There are many different property conditions that can cause slip and fall injuries. Speak to an injury attorney right away if you were injured because of:
- Icy or snowy sidewalks, parking lots or storefronts
- Slippery surfaces, for example spilled liquid or a recently mopped floor
- Broken parts of a building, for example broken handrails or holes in the floor
- Poorly designed buildings, for example uneven flooring
- Loose cords
Halvorsen Klote has over a decade of experience investigating claims and proving how a property owner or manager caused your injuries. If you have medical bills and lost wages because of a hazardous property condition, speak to a lawyer today at 866-382-4167.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Claim Worth in Columbia, MO?
The value of your claim is based on on a variety of factors, including how much your injuries cost you economically, how your injuries affected your emotionally and physically and whether you were partially at fault for your injuries. The compensation you receive for any injury claim typically is part of two different types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages:
Economic damages compensate you for the financial losses you have sustained because of your injuries. They include:
- Medical bills — You need to be reimbursed for any treatments you needed to heal, including:
- Emergency room visits or urgent care
- Doctors' appointments
- Prescription or over-the-counter drugs
- Physical therapy or chiropractic appointments
- Assistive devices such as crutches or a wheelchair
- Lost wages or lost earning capacity — If you had to miss time off work when you were unable to work because of your injuries, you deserve to have that money repaid to you, even if you had paid time off or sick leave available. If your injuries result in permanent disability that doesn't allow you to make the same earnings you used to, you are entitled to a recovery for reduced earning potential.
- Out-of-pocket expenses — You also need to be compensated for any money you spent because of your injuries. That can include parking and gas costs when going to doctors' appointments, having to hire help for household chores or needing to hire a nanny to watch over your children.
It's essential that you have a record of every dime you and your medical insurance paid, so we can demand a full recovery for all of your economic damages.
These refer to the less tangible ways an injury has affected you. Generally, slip and fall lawyers will make a demand for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Physical impairment
- Loss of ability to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of society
If you're used to tearing up your local basketball league, and now have to miss the season, you deserve to be compensated for that. Typically, non-economic damages are calculated by multiplying your economic damages by a number between 1.5 and 5. The more you suffered, the more your economic damages will be multiplied by. So if your economic damages total $20,000, and a fact-finder decides on a multiplier of three, your total compensation would be $60,000.
To prove non-economic damages, you write down every day how your injuries are affecting your daily life, and we can take deposition of family and friends who know about your life before and after the slip and fall.
The personal injury lawyers at Halvorsen Klote have experience fighting and winning a wide scope of personal injury cases. Check out the links below to see what other cases we handle.
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Contact Your Columbia, MO Slip and Fall Lawyer Today | HK Law
Any injury can cause anything from mild inconvenience to lifelong disabilities. When you are injured due to another person's negligence, it leads to confusion and anger, especially when the responsible party does not want to pay you the money you deserve. An HK Law Columbia, MO slip and fall lawyer knows how insurance companies try to avoid paying you fair compensation, and we know how to win over a judge and jury in Columbia, MO if we are not able to get a fair settlement out of court. If you've been hurt in a slip and fall accident, do not hesitate to reach out to us today by calling 866-382-4167 or contacting us online.