St. Louis and Southern Illinois Nursing Home Wrongful Death Attorneys
St. Louis Nursing Home Wrongful Death Lawyer
Call 877-51-HKLAW for a Consultation and Case Review | St. Louis Nursing Home Wrongful Death Lawyer.
Nursing Home Wrongful Death Lawyer St. Louis, MO. If your parent, grandparent, or loved one passed away in a nursing home due to negligence, you need to call a Halvorsen Klote nursing home wrongful death lawyer immediately at 877-51-HKLAW or contact us for a free consultation. You need a nursing home wrongful death lawyer on your side as soon as possible, fighting for your family and loved ones.
Sending an elderly loved one to a nursing home in and of itself is challenging. But what happens when that nursing home, the one you trusted without so much as a question, neglects your loved one to the point of death? After all, nursing homes are expected to comply with quality standards. You were paying the nursing home to care for your loved one. Instead, they did the exact opposite.
The St. Louis nursing home wrongful death lawyer team at Halvorsen Klote works for our clients, making sure that you and your family are taken care of during these trying times. We can’t bring your loved one back; we wish we could. But we will fight for you, and make sure this doesn’t happen to another family. Call us today at 877-51-HKLAW.
According to the most recent data from the Kaiser Family Foundation, there are over 15,300 certified nursing homes in the United States and these homes care for almost 1.3 million people. Over 15 percent of these facilities have received a deficiency for actual harm or immediate jeopardy, which, as defined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, is given to nursing homes where deficiencies “have caused (or is likely to cause) serious injury, harm, impairment, or death to a resident receiving care in the nursing home.”
Our St. Louis nursing home wrongful death lawyer will stand in your corner and guarantee that you have someone looking out for you every step of the way. We make those dangerous, careless people pay and hold them responsible so that they stop this horrific process and absolute failure. Call us today at 877-51-HKLAW or contact us. We don’t get paid unless you win.
Nursing Home Wrongful Death Resources from Halvorsen Klote
- Nursing Homes: Laws, Regulations and Manuals
- Missouri Compendium of Residential Care Regulations and Policy
- Nursing Home Closures and Trends
- Vital and Health Statistics: Long-term Care Providers and Services Users in the U.S.
If your loved one has been subjected to abuse or neglect in a nursing home that leads to death, you and your family are entitled to reimbursement for your loss. Our St. Louis nursing home wrongful death lawyer at HK Law will look to prove negligence at the nursing home and recover compensation for funeral and burial expenses, as well as pain and suffering caused by the loss of your loved one. Additionally, our St. Louis nursing home wrongful death lawyer will guarantee changes are made to the facility and other residents are protected.
St. Louis Nursing Home Wrongful Death Lawyer: What Causes Nursing Home Negligence?
The National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) estimates that 79% of nursing home abuse cases go unreported. Choosing a skilled and dedicated St. Louis nursing home wrongful death lawyer is the best way to ensure that you and your family are fully compensated and guarantee that your financial future and health are protected. Your nursing home wrongful death lawyer can get to the bottom of your loved one’s death and has years of experience in the causes of negligence seen in nursing homes, and as a strong advocate for defining neglect in your case.
This negligent behavior is often the result of the nursing home placing profits above the best interest — or even lives — of the residents. In an attempt to cut costs, nursing homes often fail to implement proper procedures or fail to correctly train their employees. Some of the common causes of negligence your St. Louis nursing home wrongful death lawyer lawyer has seen include:
- Inadequate staffing — Impossible workloads lead to overworked staff who cannot fulfill their duties and are more likely to make mistakes. According to the most recent data from the National Institute of Health, more than 20% of all nursing homes were understaffed in 2020.
- Negligent Hiring Practices — Negligent hiring practices can occur when a nursing home DOES NOT:
- Perform a criminal background check
- Perform a drug screening
- Check employment and personal references
- Validate college degree or accreditation
- Perform credit checks
- Check driving records
St. Louis Nursing Home Wrongful Death Lawyer: What are the Types of Neglect in Nursing Homes?
Most nursing homes receive funding through the federal Medicare and Medicaid programs. The federal government has, in turn, enforced basic quality standards, such as the Nursing Home Reform Bill. This law requires nursing homes to “promote and protect the rights of each resident.” If you feel your loved one is the victim of a wrongful death, call us at 877-51-HKLAW or contact your St. Louis nursing home wrongful death lawyer at HK Law right away.
Your St. Louis nursing home wrongful death lawyer has unfortunately seen all types of neglect in nursing homes, including:
- Medical Neglect
- Failing to administer medications when needed
- Improper medical care for existing health problems like diabetes or dementia
- Not regularly moving seniors with mobility issues, putting them at risk of bedsores
- Not reporting signs of infections or illnesses to nurses or doctors
- Social/Emotional Neglect
- Accidentally isolate vulnerable residents
- Fail to provide canes, wheelchairs, or walkers to residents with mobility problems
- Forget to move residents with severe mobility or mental issues
- Neglect of Basic Living Needs
- Neglect of Personal Hygiene
- Failing to change a resident’s clothes regularly
- Not regularly checking in on residents
- Not changing the clothing or bedding of residents who soil themselves
- Not properly bathing a resident
St. Louis Nursing Home Wrongful Death Lawyer: What are the Recoverable Damages in a Wrongful Death Claim?
Missouri Revised Statutes 537.100 establishes that those who qualify — under Missouri Revised Statutes 537.080 known as “class of wrongful death claimants” including the decedent’s parents, spouse, children, or surviving lineal descendants; siblings of the deceased or their descendants; or a court-appointed ad litem — to file a wrongful death claim has three years to do so.
Missouri Revised Statutes 537.090 details the factors of compensation, which may include:
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of companionship
- Loss or deprivation of comfort, instruction, guidance, counsel, training, and support
- Pain and suffering before death
- Funeral and burial expenses or other related services
- Medical expenses prior to death
Your St. Louis Nursing Home Wrongful Death Lawyer | Halvorsen Klote in St. Louis, MO
Halvorsen Klote is an industry leader when it comes to protecting you and your family’s interests in a St. Louis-area nursing home wrongful death case. Nursing homes frequently choose the bottom line over protecting your loved ones. Your nursing home wrongful death lawyer at Halvorsen Klote finds this unacceptable. We are prepared to fight on your behalf to protect your loved one’s legacy in holding the nursing home accountable. You can expect nothing less than our best.