What if I Am Injured by a Drunk Driver? | St. Louis Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote

What if I Am Injured by a Drunk Driver?

St. Louis Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers

What if I am injured by a drunk driver? Being in any accident is usually unexpected, and being injured in one can create sudden financial and physical hardships. There are legal remedies for victims of drunk drivers to be repaid for their economic losses, and noneconomic losses such as pain and suffering. The St. Louis and Southern Illinois drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to help you receive the best compensation possible. Call us today at 877-51-HKLAW or contact us online for a free consultation.

What To Do After a Drunk Driving Accident

The most important thing to do immediately following any accident is to make sure you are physically safe, if you are able. Pull your car over to the side of the road so as not to endanger oncoming traffic. After that, there are important steps to take both to ensure you get the medical care you need, and the best chance of success in your personal injury claim:

  • Call 911. Emergency personnel will be needed to control the scene and render aid to anyone who needs it. Additionally, police will want to perform sobriety tests on the drunk driver and arrest them.
  • Collect Evidence at the Scene. While a police report stating the driver was drunk will obviously help your case, drunk drivers can get out of their criminal convictions for a variety of reasons. Write down details such as the driver's first words, or if their speech was slurred. A photograph of the driver in handcuffs will also help your case. The burden of proof is lower in civil cases than in criminal cases, so this evidence will go a long way in proving negligence.
  • Seek Medical Attention. Even if you do not believe your injuries are serious, get medical attention at the first sign of injury. Some injuries that start out mild worsen when left untreated. Others may not show up until several days later. Adrenaline and endorphins can delay pain after a car accident, and your injuries may be more severe than you originally think. Some injuries may only show up during a medical examination, or with MRIs or X-Rays. Furthermore, you do not want to settle with an insurance company only to find out later that you need further medical treatment.
  • Call Halvorsen Klote. We have over a decade of combined experience investigating car accidents, negotiating with insurance companies and trying cases in court. We know how to hold drunk drivers accountable and get great compensation for our clients. Our initial consultation is always free, so there's no risk in calling us to discuss your claim. Even if you feel the insurance company is offering you close to a fair settlement, you should always speak to a personal injury attorney to be sure.

Should I File a Lawsuit Against the Drunk Driver?

That depends on the specifics of your case and is a decision that should only be made after speaking to a drunk driving accident lawyer. The other driver's insurance company is still obligated to pay even though the driver was drunk, so often leaning on a drunk driving accident attorney to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company on your behalf is your best bet. If the insurance company is refusing to be fair to you, we may advise you to file suit.

St. Louis Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers

You should not have to pay because somebody else made the terrible decision to drive drunk and ended up injuring you or a member of your family. When you hire HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers in St. Louis, we keep you informed throughout your case and tell you everything you need to know to make the best decision for you and your family. Call us today at 877-51-HKLAW or contact us online for a free case review.