Dog Bite Lawyers in Troy, IL
Troy, IL Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Case Evaluation | Troy, IL Dog Bite Law Firm
Dog Bite Lawyers in Troy, IL. Dogs can add a great deal of fun, love and companionship to our lives. But when Troy, IL dog owners don't keep their dogs in check, it can cause injuries and other damages to innocent people. It is essential to find experienced legal representation as soon as possible after an accident. As personal injury lawyers, Halvorsen Klote has helped clients in Troy, IL and beyond fight insurance companies to get the financial recovery they are owed. If you have a claim, don't wait another second to call us at 866-382-4167 or contact our Troy, IL dog bite lawyers online. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois.
How Common Are Dog Bites?
Based on reporting from the American Veterinary Medical Association, there are more than 4.5 million serious dog bites every year in the U.S. Dog bites can carry high medical costs, as medical assistance can quickly add up to tens of thousands of dollars. Every day, almost 1,000 people seek emergency medical treatment for serious dog bites, and the average dog bite-related hospital stay is $18,200.
In 2022, nationwide there were 17,597 dog bite claims, which ended up costing $1.136 billion in compensation.
Do I Have a Dog Bite Case in Troy, IL?
If a dog bit you for no reason, you may be thinking about if you have a case for legal action. The answer depends on a few key factors:
- Seriousness of your injuries — If you want to have a valid claim, your injuries your injuries have to have resulted in monetary damages. You can typically receive compensation for injuries such as puncture wounds, lacerations or broken bones, as well as emotional injuries like PTSD. For less serious injuries that didn't require medical treatment, such as a bruise, you may not have a claim .
- Circumstances surrounding the incident — If you were bitten while you were on public property or on private property you had permission to be on, you may have a case. However, if you were trespassing or if you provoked the dog, you may not have a case.
- Insurance coverages available — For more serious dog bite cases, you'll likely need to find an insurance policy that covers the injuries a specific dog causes. Most times, this will be under a homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance policy. If not, you may need your attorney to do some "creative lawyering" to help locate the coverage you need.
- Dog bite laws — Whether or not you're able to make a valid claim for a dog bite also depends on local and state law. Typically, in Missouri and Illinois, you can seek compensation for a dog bite any time you were bitten by another person's dog if:
- You were lawfully allowed to be where you were
- You did nothing to provoke or threaten the dog or its owner
If you don't know if you have enough to seek compensation, you should request a consultation with a qualified Troy, IL dog bite lawyer. They can evaluate the specifics of your case and advise you on your best options for compensation.
What to Do After a Dog Bite in Troy, IL?
If you've been attacked by a dog, it's important to take certain steps to protect your health and your legal rights. While it can be hard to keep your wits about you, after being bitten by a dog you should:
- Obtain evidence — While you're still at the scene, take photos of the surrounding scene and any injuries. Get the contact info of the dog's owners and any people who saw what happened, without getting into a confrontation with the owner.
- Seek medical attention — Even if you don't think your injuries are serious, you need to get evaluated by a doctor or other medical professional. Dog bites can be prone to infection, and shots or medications may be necessary to get you fully healthy. Furthermore, you'll need documentation of your injuries in order to receive a financial recovery.
- Report the incident — Depending on where the incident occurred, you may need to report the dog bite to your local municipality. This can help to ensure that the dog is free of disease and infection, and that there is an official record of the incident to corroborate your story.
- Don't believe insurance companies — Insurance companies want to settle claims as quickly and cheaply as possible. Never agree to a settlement before you speak to an attorney, as the first offer is likely to be less than the true value of your claim.
- Reach out to a personal injury lawyer — An attorney with experience in injury claims can help you determine the best way to move forward. They can look into the details of your case and help you to determine how much compensation you are owed for your dog bite injury in Troy, IL.
How a Dog Bite Lawyer in Troy, IL Can Help
A dog bite lawyer in Troy, IL can handle all the legal aspects of your case while you focus on healing. Here are some of the things they can do for you:
- Analyze your case — A dog bite lawyer can go over the details and offer insight into your chances of success. They will review the circumstances surrounding the bite, including the severity of your injuries and any relevant laws.
- Help you understand your rights — A dog bite lawyer can help you understand your legal options. They can explain the laws that govern dog bites in Troy, IL, and they can help you navigate the injury claims process from filing an initial insurance claim to going to trial if you have to. Throughout your case, your Troy, IL dog bite lawyer will be there to answer any questions you may have.
- Gather evidence — A dog bite lawyer can acquire evidence to support your claim. This may include medical records, witness statements and photographs of your injuries.
- Negotiate with insurance companies — A dog bite lawyer can handle your claim with the dog owner's insurance company for you. Insurance companies want to avoid paying claims, but a dog bite lawyer can fight on your behalf and ensure the compensation covers all of your damages.
- Represent you in court — If your lawsuit goes to court, a dog bite lawyer can represent you and advocate for your rights.
Understanding Dog Bite Laws
Any law regarding personal injury is designed to keep the public safe and to hold negligent actors accountable for the damages they cause. Each state has their own laws regarding dog bites, and the laws in Missouri and Illinois are similar.
Neither state has a "one bite rule" – where the dog had to have bitten somebody at an earlier date for the owner to be liable – or uses negligence – requiring the dog owner to do something wrong – as the standard in dog bite cases.
Instead, both states adhere to "strict liability", in which a dog owner is liable for a dog bite even if the owner did nothing wrong. Unlike other forms of liability, such as negligence, strict liability does not require the victim to prove that the dog owner did anything wrong. Instead, the mere fact that the dog caused harm is enough to establish liability.
The only major difference in dog bite law between Missouri and Illinois has to do with the statute of limitations. In Missouri, you typically have five years to file a dog bite claim, while in Illinois dog bite claims must be filed within two years.
Common Dog Attack Injuries
As harmless as they seem, "man's best friend" can be dangerous. Our dog attack lawyers in Troy, IL, understand how victims and their families can be affected. For example, below are a few of the most common injuries related to dog bites:
Too often, people stereotype certain dog breeds. There are facts to back this up, but it's not always the case. Every dog is capable of biting a person. This can be caused by how the person interacts with the dog and the environment it was raised in.
Breeds that are often associated with danger include (in no particular order) bull terriers, cocker spaniels, jack russells, German shepherds, pit bulls, bulldogs, and even chihuahuas. The size and age of the dog rarely matters; the important thing to remember is how a dog was raised and how you interact with the dog. People have a similar tendency to lash out others when they're scared or aggravated.
What Compensation Can I Get for My Dog Bite in Troy, IL?
A dog bite lawyer in Troy, IL, will look at a number of special and general damages. Some of these include:
- Medical Expenses — Victims may be able to recover all expenses related to medical treatment caused by a bite. It is important to document everything (recovery, scarring, prescriptions, etc...) if you want compensation.
- Lost Time at Work — If you or a family member have been injured by a dog, you might lose your earning capacity for a certain period of time. The money you lost from not working can be reimbursed to you.
- Pain and Suffering — Being attacked by a dog can be traumatic. Emotional stress, scarring, ongoing fear, and other factors have lifelong consequences. These types of non-economic damages are factored into personal injury settlements and verdicts.
- Punitive Damages — Although rare, in some circumstances a victim can sue for punitive damages if the dog owner's conduct was intentional or extreme.
- Property Damage — This can include damages to your home, your clothes, a bike or motorcycle, your phone and other things that may have been damaged during an attack.
One of the most important aspects of a dog bite lawyer's job is to accurately value how much your personal injury claim is worth. At Halvorsen Klote, our Troy, IL personal injury lawyers will ensure that no money is left on the table in your claim.
Other cases we take on and win in Troy, IL include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Reach out to a Dog Bite Lawyer in Troy, IL Today
If you or a loved one have been injured in a dog attack, contact Halvorsen Klote today for a consultation. It's crucial to contact a local dog bite lawyer in Troy, IL, right away if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Troy, IL, dog bite lawyers are ready to win. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Our firm would be happy to discuss your case. We've won numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.