Dog Bite Lawyers in Lebanon, IL
Lebanon, IL Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a No Risk, No Obligation Case Evaluation | Lebanon, IL Dog Bite Law Firm
Dog Bite Lawyers in Lebanon, IL. Dogs can add a great deal of fun, love and companionship to our lives. But when Lebanon, IL dog owners don't keep their dogs in check, it can cause injuries and other damages to innocent people. It's essential to find experienced legal service ASAP after an accident. As personal injury lawyers, Halvorsen Klote has helped clients in Lebanon, IL and on both sides of the Mississippi fight insurance companies to get the compensation they are owed. If you were bitten by a dog, don't hesitate to call us at 866-382-4167 or contact our Lebanon, IL dog bite lawyers online. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois.
Dog Bite Statistics
Based on reporting from the American Veterinary Medical Association, there are more than 4.5 million serious dog bites every year across the country. Dog bites are associated with high medical expenses, as medical assistance can quickly add up to tens of thousands of dollars. Each day, almost 1,000 people seek emergency medical treatment for significant dog bites, and the average medical costs for a dog bite is $20,000.
In 2022, in the United States there were 17,597 dog bite claims, which resulted in $1.136 billion in compensation.
How to Know if You Have a Dog Bite Claim in Lebanon, IL
If a dog bit you for no reason, you may be wondering whether or not you have a valid claim. The answer depends on your unique situation:
- The extent of your damages — If you want to have a valid claim, your injuries your injuries have to have resulted in financial loss. You can generally receive compensation for injuries such as puncture wounds, lacerations or broken bones, as well as less tangible damages such as PTSD. For less serious injuries that didn't require medical treatment, such as a bruise, you may not have a claim .
- Circumstances surrounding the incident — If you were bitten while you were on public property or on private property you had permission to be on, you may have a case. However, if you were trespassing or if you provoked the dog, you likely don't have a case.
- Insurance coverages available — For more serious dog bite cases, you'll probably need to find an insurance policy that covers any damages the dog causes. Most times, this will be under a homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance policy. If not, you may need some "creative lawyering" to help locate the coverage you need.
- Dog bite laws — The validity of your claim is, at least to a degree, dictated by local and state law. Generally, in Missouri and Illinois, you have a dog bite claim any time you were bitten by someone else's dog if:
- You were lawfully allowed to be where you were
- You were acting peacefully and did not provoke the dog
If you are unsure whether or not you have enough to seek compensation, you should speak to a qualified Lebanon, IL dog bite lawyer. They can analyze the circumstances surrounding your dog bite and advise you on your best options for compensation.
What Should I Do if I'm Bit by a Dog in Lebanon, IL?
If you've been attacked by a dog, it's important to take certain steps to protect your health and your legal rights. While it can be hard to keep your wits about you, after being bitten by a dog you should:
- Gather evidence — Before leaving, take photos of the surrounding scene and any injuries. Ask for the name and information of the dog's owners and any people who saw the attack, but do not start a confrontation with the owner.
- Get medical attention — Even if you don't end up going to the emergency room, you need to get checked out by a healthcare professional. Dog bites often cause infection, and you may need to receive a tetanus shot or other treatment to prevent complications. Additionally, you'll need proof that you were injured in order to make a claim.
- Report the bite — Depending on where you were bitten, you may need to report the dog bite to your local municipality. This can help to ensure that the dog is free of disease and infection, and that there is documentation of the incident to corroborate your story.
- Be cautious with insurance companies — Insurance companies want to settle claims as quickly and cheaply as possible. Be wary of accepting a settlement before you speak to an attorney, as the first offer is likely to be less than what your claim is worth.
- Schedule a consultation with a personal injury lawyer — A lawyer who specializes in injury claims can help you determine the best way to move forward. They can look into the details of your case and help you to determine how much compensation you are entitled to for your dog bite injury in Lebanon, IL.
How a Dog Bite Lawyer in Lebanon, IL Can Help
A dog bite lawyer in Lebanon, IL can handle all the legal aspects of your case while you focus on healing. Here are some of the benefits to hiring an attorney for your claim:
- Evaluate your case — A dog bite lawyer can go over the details and offer insight into your chances of success. They will review all of the evidence and how it fits with law and case precedent.
- Help you understand your rights — A dog bite lawyer can help you understand your legal options. They can explain the laws that govern dog bites in Lebanon, IL, and they can help you navigate the injury claims process from filing a claim with the appropriate insurance to going to trial if necessary. Throughout your case, your Lebanon, IL dog bite lawyer will be by the phone to answer any questions you may have.
- Gather evidence — A dog bite lawyer can gather evidence to support your claim. This may include medical records, witness statements and photographs of your injuries.
- Negotiate with insurance companies — A dog bite lawyer can handle your claim with the dog owner's insurance company on your behalf. Insurance companies want to minimize claims, but a dog bite lawyer can stand up for you and ensure the compensation covers all of your damages.
- Represent you in court — If your lawsuit goes to court, a dog bite lawyer can present your case to a judge and jury and argue for the compensation you deserve.
Understanding Dog Bite Laws
Any law regarding personal injury is designed to keep the public safe and to hold negligent actors responsible for the damages they cause. Each state has their own laws regarding dog bites, and the laws in Missouri and Illinois are similar.
Neither state implements a "one bite rule" – where the dog had to have bitten somebody at an earlier date for the owner to be liable – or uses negligence – requiring the dog owner to do something wrong – to determine if an owner can be liable.
Instead, both Missouri and Illinois operate under the doctrine of "strict liability", meaning that a dog owner can be sued for a dog bite even if the owner did nothing wrong. Strict liability recognizes that dog owners are responsible for the behavior of their dog, while allowing dog bite victims who did nothing wrong to get full compensation without having to prove wrongdoing on the part of the dog owner.
The main difference in dog bite law between Missouri and Illinois has to do with the statute of limitations. In Missouri, you generally have five years to file a dog bite claim, while in Illinois dog bite claims must be filed within two years.
Common Dog Attack Injuries
As harmless as they seem, "man's best friend" can be dangerous. Halvorsen Klote's dog bite lawyers in Lebanon, IL, know how victims and their families can be affected. For example, here are a few of the most common dog bite injuries:
Too often, people stereotype certain breeds. There are facts to back this up, but they're not always applicable. Any dog is capable of biting someone. This can be attributed to the dog's environment and interaction with the victim.
Breeds that are often associated with bites include (in no particular order) bulldogs, pit bulls, shepherds, terriers, pekingese, and even chihuahuas. The size and age of the dog rarely matters; the important thing to keep in mind is how a dog was raised and how you interact with the dog. People have a similar tendency to attack others when they're scared or aggravated.
What Compensation Can I Get for My Dog Bite in Lebanon, IL?
A dog bite lawyer in Lebanon, IL, will look at a number of damages. Some of these include:
- Medical Expenses — Victims may be able to recover all expenses related to medical treatment caused by a bite. It is important to document everything (recovery, scarring, prescriptions, etc...) if you want reimbursement.
- Lost Time at Work — If you've been bitten by a dog, you might lose your earning capacity for a certain period of time. The money you lost from not working can be reimbursed to you.
- Pain and Suffering — Being attacked by a dog can be a traumatic experience. Emotional stress, scarring, ongoing fear, and other factors have lifelong consequences. These types of non-economic damages are factored into personal injury settlements and verdicts.
- Punitive Damages — Though rare, in certain circumstances a victim can sue for punitive damages if the dog owner's conduct was intentional or extreme.
- Property Damage — This may include damages to your home, your clothes, a bike or motorcycle, your phone and other things that may have been damaged during an attack.
One of the most important aspects of a dog bite lawyer's job is to accurately value how much your personal injury claim is worth. At Halvorsen Klote, our Lebanon, IL personal injury lawyers will ensure that no money is left on the table in your claim.
Other cases we take on and win in Lebanon, IL include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Reach out to a Dog Bite Lawyer in Lebanon, IL Now
If you've been attacked by a dog, contact Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. It's essential to contact a local dog bite lawyer in Lebanon, IL, right away if there are financial damages. Legal counsel doesn't cost you anything. Here, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Lebanon, IL, dog bite lawyers are here to win. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
Our attorneys would be more than happy to speak with you. We've won numerous cases and you can view our case results here.