Dog Bite Lawyers in Barnhart, MO
Barnhart, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Free Case Review | Barnhart, MO Dog Bite Attorneys
Dog Bite Lawyers in Barnhart, MO. Dogs can add a great deal of fun, love and companionship to our lives. But when Barnhart, MO dog owners don't keep their dogs in check, it can cause injuries and other damages to innocent people. It's important to find qualified legal representation ASAP after a dog bite. As personal injury lawyers, Halvorsen Klote has helped clients in Barnhart, MO and beyond fight insurance companies to get the compensation they are owed. If you were bitten by a dog, don't wait another second to call us at 866-382-4167 or contact our Barnhart, MO dog bite lawyers online. Halvorsen Klote fights for the rights of the injured in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois.
Dog Bites: Statistics to Know
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, there are over 4.5 million serious dog bites annually across the country. Dog bites are associated with high medical bills, as medical care can cost tens of thousands of dollars when taking into account surgery, prescriptions and other factors. Each day, almost 1,000 people visit an emergency room for significant dog bites, and the average medical costs for a dog bite is $20,000.
In 2022, across the country there were 17,597 dog bite claims, which ended up costing $1,136,000,000 in compensation.
How to Know if You Have a Dog Bite Case in Barnhart, MO
If a dog bit you for no reason, you may be wondering if you have a case for legal action. The answer depends on the circumstances surrounding the bite:
- The extent of your damages — In order to have a valid case, your injuries your injuries have to have resulted in monetary loss. This may include physical injuries that led to medical treatment, as well as emotional damages like post-traumatic stress disorder. For less serious injuries that didn't require medical treatment, such as a small cut, you may not be able to make a claim .
- Circumstances surrounding the attack — If you were attacked while you were on public property or on private property you had permission to be on, you may have a case. However, if you were there illegally or if you provoked the dog, you likely don't have a case.
- Insurance coverages available — Most dog bites are covered under a homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance policy. If not, you may need your attorney to do some "creative lawyering" to help locate the coverage that covers your damages.
- Dog bite laws — The validity of your claim is, at least to a degree, based on local ordinances and state statutes. Generally, in Missouri and Illinois, you can seek compensation for a dog bite any time you were bitten by someone else's dog if:
- You were at the location legally
- You were acting peacefully and did not provoke the dog
If you don't know if you have enough to make a claim, you need to speak to a qualified Barnhart, MO dog bite lawyer. They can look at the circumstances surrounding your dog bite and advise you on your best options for compensation.
What to Do After a Dog Bite in Barnhart, MO?
If you've been bitten by a dog, it's important to take certain steps to protect your health and your legal rights. While it can be hard to keep your wits about you, after being bitten by a dog you should:
- Obtain evidence — As soon as you can afterwards, take photos of the surrounding scene and any injuries. Ask for the contact info of the dog's owners and any people who saw the attack, without getting into a confrontation with the owner.
- Seek medical treatment — Even if the bite doesn't seem significant, it's important to get your injuries treated by a doctor or other medical professional. Dog bites often cause infection, and shots or medications may be necessary to get you fully healthy. Additionally, you'll need proof that you were injured in order to make a claim.
- Report the bite — Depending on where you were bitten, you may need to report the dog bite to your local municipality. This can help to ensure that the dog is observed to see if they're a danger to others, and that there is an official record of the attack to show the insurance company.
- Be cautious with insurance companies — Insurance companies want to settle claims as quickly and cheaply as possible. Never agree to a settlement before you speak to an attorney, as it may not fully cover the costs of your medical bills and other expenses.
- Reach out to a personal injury lawyer — An attorney who specializes in injury claims can help you to understand your legal rights and options. They can evaluate the circumstances of the incident and help you to determine how much compensation you are owed for your dog bite injury in Barnhart, MO.
What Can a Dog Bite Lawyer in Barnhart, MO Do for Me?
A dog bite lawyer in Barnhart, MO can handle all the legal aspects of your case while you focus on healing. Here are some of the things they can do for you:
- Analyze your case — A dog bite lawyer can evaluate your case and offer insight into your chances of success. They will review the circumstances surrounding the bite, including the severity of your injuries and the relevant state statutes.
- Help you understand your rights — A dog bite lawyer can help you understand your legal options. They can explain the laws that govern dog bites in Barnhart, MO, and they can help you navigate the legal system from filing a claim with the appropriate insurance to going to court if you have to. Throughout your case, your Barnhart, MO dog bite lawyer will be by the phone to answer any questions you may have.
- Gather evidence — A dog bite lawyer can acquire evidence that backs up your side of the story. This may include medical records, witness statements and photographs of your injuries.
- Negotiate with insurance companies — A dog bite lawyer can negotiate with the dog owner's insurance company on your behalf. Insurance companies often try to pay out as little as possible, but a dog bite lawyer can stand up for you and ensure the compensation covers all of your damages.
- Represent you in court — If your case goes to court, a dog bite lawyer can present your case to a judge and jury and argue for the compensation you deserve.
Understanding Dog Bite Laws
Dog bite laws, and laws regarding personal injury in general, are designed to keep the public safe and to hold people liable for the damages they cause. Each state makes their own dog bite laws, and the laws in Missouri and Illinois have most of the most important aspects in common.
Neither state has a "one bite rule" – where you can't hold the owner liable if it's the dog's first aggressive incident – or uses negligence – requiring the dog owner to do something wrong – as the standard in dog bite cases.
Instead, both states operate under the doctrine of "strict liability", meaning that a dog owner can be sued for a dog bite even if the owner did nothing wrong. Unlike other forms of liability, such as negligence, strict liability does not require the victim to prove that the dog owner did anything wrong. Instead, the mere fact that the dog caused harm is enough to establish liability.
The only major difference in dog bite law between Missouri and Illinois is in regards to the statute of limitations. In Missouri, you typically have five years to file a dog bite claim, while in Illinois dog bite claims must be filed within two years.
Common Dog Attack Injuries
A dog might be considered "man's best friend, but that doesn't mean they're not dangerous. Halvorsen Klote's dog attack attorneys in Barnhart, MO, understand how victims and their families can be affected. For instance, here are a few of the most common dog bite injuries:
Often, people stereotype certain breeds. There are facts to back this stigma, but they're not always applicable. Every dog is capable of biting someone. This can be attributed to the dog's environment and interaction with the victim.
Breeds often associated with danger include (in no particular order) bulldogs, pit bulls, shepherds, terriers, pekingese, and even chihuahuas. The size and age of the dog rarely matters; the important thing to keep in mind is how a dog was raised and how you interact with the dog. People have the same tendency to attack others when they're scared or aggravated.
What Compensation Can I Get for My Dog Bite in Barnhart, MO?
A dog bite lawyer in Barnhart, MO, will look at a number of special and general damages. Some of these include:
- Medical Expenses — You may be able to recover all expenses related to medical treatment caused by a bite. It is important to document everything (recovery, scarring, prescriptions, etc...) if you want reimbursement.
- Lost Time at Work — If you or a family member have been injured by a dog, you might lose your earning capacity for a certain period of time. The money you lost from not working can be reimbursed to you.
- Pain and Suffering — Being attacked by a dog can be a traumatic experience. Emotional stress, scarring, ongoing fear, and other factors have lifelong consequences. These types of non-economic damages are factored into personal injury settlements and verdicts.
- Punitive Damages — Although rare, in some circumstances a victim can sue for punitive damages if the owner's conduct was intentional or extreme.
- Property Damage — This can include a broken phone, if you crashed a bike, if a dog tore up your siding and other things that might've been damaged during an attack.
One of the most important aspects of a dog bite lawyer's job is to accurately value how much your personal injury claim is worth. At Halvorsen Klote, our Barnhart, MO personal injury lawyers will ensure that no money is left on the table in your claim.
Other cases we take on and win in Barnhart, MO include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Reach out to a Dog Bite Lawyer in Barnhart, MO Now
If you've been attacked by a dog, contact Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. It is crucial to contact a local dog bite lawyer in Barnhart, MO, right away if there are financial damages. Legal assistance doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that if we don't win your case you don't owe us anything and there aren't any upfront fees. Our Barnhart, MO, dog bite lawyers are here to help. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Our lawyers would be more than happy to speak with you. We've won numerous cases and you can view our testimonials here.