Dog Bite Lawyers in Glen Carbon, IL
Glen Carbon, IL Personal Injury Lawyers
Call 866-382-4167 for a Complimentary Case Review | Glen Carbon, IL Dog Bite Law Firm
Dog Bite Lawyers in Glen Carbon, IL. Dogs can add a great deal of fun, love and companionship to our lives. But when Glen Carbon, IL dog owners don't keep their dogs in check, it can cause injuries and other damages to innocent people. It is important to get qualified legal representation as soon as possible after a dog attack. As personal injury lawyers, Halvorsen Klote has helped clients in Glen Carbon, IL and throughout Missouri and Illinois hold negligent pet owners liable to get the compensation they deserve. If you were bitten by a dog, don't wait another second to call us at 866-382-4167 or contact our Glen Carbon, IL dog bite lawyers online. Halvorsen Klote represents clients in the Greater St. Louis area and Southern Illinois.
Dog Bite Statistics
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, there are more than four and a half million dog bites every year nationwide. Dog bites are associated with expensive medical bills, as medical care can cost tens of thousands of dollars when you consider procedures, medication and other factors. Each day, almost 1,000 people seek emergency medical treatment for serious dog bites, and the average dog bite-related hospital stay is $18,200.
In 2022, nationwide there were 17,597 dog bite claims, which ended up costing $1,136,000,000 in compensation.
Do I Have a Dog Bite Case in Glen Carbon, IL?
If a dog attacked you for no reason, you may be thinking about if you have a case for legal action. The answer depends on your unique situation:
- The extent of your damages — If you want to have a viable case, your injuries must be significant enough to warrant medical attention. This may include physical injuries that led to medical treatment, as well as emotional damages like PTSD. It's harder to get compensation for small injuries like bruises or scrapes .
- Circumstances surrounding the bite — If you were bitten while lawfully on public or private property, you may have a case. But, if you were there illegally or threatened the dog or their owner, you may not have a case.
- Insurance coverages available — For more serious dog bite cases, you'll probably need to find an insurance policy that covers any damages the dog causes. Most times, this will be under a homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance policy. If not, you may need some "creative lawyering" to help find the coverage that covers your injuries.
- Dog bite laws — Whether or not you're able to make a valid claim for a dog bite also depends on local and state law. Generally, in Missouri and Illinois, you have a dog bite claim any time you were bitten by someone else's dog if:
- You were lawfully allowed to be where you were
- You did nothing to provoke or threaten the dog or its owner
If you are unsure whether or not you have enough to make a claim, you should request a consultation with a qualified Glen Carbon, IL dog bite lawyer. They can analyze the specifics of your case and advise you on your best options for compensation.
What to Do After a Dog Bite in Glen Carbon, IL?
If you've been attacked by a dog, it's important to take certain steps to protect your health and your legal rights. While it can be hard to keep your wits about you, after being bitten by a dog you should:
- Obtain evidence — While you're still at the scene, take pictures of the surrounding scene and any injuries. Ask for the contact info of the dog's owners and any witnesses you can, but do not start an argument with the owner.
- Get medical attention — Even if the bite doesn't seem serious, it's important to get your injuries treated by a doctor or other medical professional. Dog bites frequently cause infection, and you may need to receive a tetanus shot or other treatment to prevent complications. Furthermore, you'll need proof that you were injured in order to make a claim.
- Report the attack — Depending on where you were when you were attacked, you may need to report the dog bite to your local municipality. This can help to ensure that the dog is free of disease and infection, and that there is an official record of the incident to back up your story.
- Don't believe insurance companies — If the dog's owner has insurance, their insurance company may reach out to you to offer a settlement. Be wary of accepting a settlement without consulting with a lawyer, as the first offer is likely to be less than what your claim is worth.
- Call a personal injury lawyer — A lawyer who specializes in dog bite cases can help you determine the best way to move forward. They can look into the details of your case and help you to determine the true value of your dog bite injury in Glen Carbon, IL.
How a Dog Bite Lawyer in Glen Carbon, IL Can Help
A dog bite lawyer in Glen Carbon, IL offers expertise and peace of mind. Here are some of the things they can do for you:
- Analyze your case — A dog bite lawyer can go over the details and determine whether you have a valid claim. They will review all of the evidence and how it fits with law and case precedent.
- Help you understand your rights — A dog bite lawyer can help you understand your legal rights. They can explain the laws that govern dog bites in Glen Carbon, IL, and they can help you navigate the legal system from filing a claim with the appropriate insurance to going to court if you have to. Throughout the duration of your case, your Glen Carbon, IL dog bite lawyer will be there to answer any questions you may have.
- Acquire evidence — A dog bite lawyer can gather evidence to support your claim. This may include medical records, witness statements and any surveillance footage or other evidence.
- Negotiate with insurance companies — A dog bite lawyer can talk to the dog owner's insurance company to get you the compensation you're entitled to. Insurance companies often try to pay out as little as possible, but a dog bite lawyer can advocate for your rights and make sure you get a fair settlement.
- Represent you in court — If your case goes to court, a dog bite lawyer can present your case to a judge and jury and argue for the compensation you deserve.
Understanding Dog Bite Laws
Dog bite laws, and laws regarding personal injury in general, are designed to keep innocent people from harm and to hold people responsible for the harm they cause. Each state has their own laws regarding dog bites, and the laws in Missouri and Illinois are similar.
Neither state implements a "one bite rule" – where the dog had to have bitten somebody before for the owner to be liable – or uses negligence – requiring the dog owner to actively forgo safety precautions – to determine if an owner can be liable.
Instead, both states adhere to "strict liability", in which a dog owner can be sued for a dog bite even if the owner did nothing wrong. Unlike other forms of liability, such as negligence, strict liability does not require the victim to prove that the dog owner did anything wrong. Instead, the mere fact that the dog caused harm is enough to establish liability.
The only major difference in dog bite law between Missouri and Illinois has to do with the statute of limitations. In Missouri, you typically have five years to file a dog bite claim, while in Illinois you have two years.
Common Dog Attack Injuries
As harmless as they seem, "man's best friend" can be dangerous. Halvorsen Klote's dog attack lawyers in Glen Carbon, IL, understand how victims and their families can be affected after an incident. For example, below are a few of the most common dog bite injuries:
Too often, people stereotype certain breeds. There are facts to back this stigma, but it's not always the case. Any dog is able to bite a person. This can be attributed to the dog's environment and interaction with the victim.
Breeds that are often associated with bites include (in no particular order) bull terriers, cocker spaniels, jack russells, German shepherds, pit bulls, bulldogs, and even chihuahuas. The size and age of the dog rarely matters; the important thing to keep in mind is how a dog was raised and how you interact with the dog. People have a similar tendency to lash out others when they're scared or aggravated.
What Compensation Can I Get for My Dog Bite in Glen Carbon, IL?
A dog bite lawyer in Glen Carbon, IL, will look into a variety of damages. Some of these include:
- Medical Expenses — You might be able to recover all costs related to medical treatment caused by a bite. It is important to document everything (recovery, scarring, prescriptions, etc...) if you want compensation.
- Lost Time at Work — If you or a family member have been injured by a dog, you might lose your earning capacity for a certain period of time. The money you lost from not working can be reimbursed to you.
- Pain and Suffering — Being attacked by a dog can be traumatic. Emotional stress, scarring, ongoing fear, and other factors have lifelong consequences. These types of non-economic damages are factored into personal injury settlements and verdicts.
- Punitive Damages — Although rare, in some circumstances a victim can sue for punitive damages if the dog owner's conduct was intentional or extreme.
- Property Damage — This may include damages to your home, your clothes, a bike or motorcycle, your phone and other things that may have been damaged during an attack.
One of the most important aspects of a dog bite lawyer's job is to accurately value how much your personal injury claim is worth. At Halvorsen Klote, our Glen Carbon, IL personal injury lawyers will ensure that no money is left on the table in your claim.
Other cases we take on and win in Glen Carbon, IL include:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Speak To a Dog Bite Lawyer in Glen Carbon, IL Today
If you or a loved one have been injured in a dog attack, reach out to Halvorsen Klote now for a consultation. It is essential to contact a local dog bite lawyer in Glen Carbon, IL, right away if there are financial damages. Legal representation doesn't cost you anything. At Halvorsen Klote, we charge on a contingency fee basis. This means that there aren't any upfront costs and you only pay if we win the case. Our Glen Carbon, IL, dog bite lawyers are ready to help. Call us today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online for a free case review.
Our lawyers would be more than happy to speak with you. We've won numerous cases and you can view our case results here.