Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Wildwood, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Wildwood, MO. We all have a obligation to each other to respect the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another person gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an extremely selfish and irresponsible decision. If you or someone you love was injured because of that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice in the form of a financial recovery. Auto crashes and the subsequent injuries are always unforeseen, and the financial repercussions from medical costs and lost wages are instantaneous and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Wildwood, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the horrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Wildwood, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Wildwood, MO roads who put others in danger by drinking and driving. When they do and injure you, the Wildwood, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make sure they are held responsible and you are awarded the maximum financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one fatality every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much in the last month. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving accidents nationwide amounts to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 car crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because another person drove drunk in Wildwood, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Wildwood, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Even though it may be encouraging that there are severe punishments for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you receive compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Wildwood, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you a great financial recovery for your damages.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Wildwood, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Wildwood, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly to blame for your damages pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the rules vary between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to show fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who caused you injury did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a vendor to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant was a factor the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can show that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability limits for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Wildwood, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will count on the significance of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you a great financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for instance
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, for instance damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Wildwood, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal talent necessary to secure you the maximum financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other personal injury cases we take in Wildwood, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Wildwood, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not need to navigate this trying time alone. The Wildwood, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Wildwood, MO for their careless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Wildwood, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.