Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers California, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in California, MO. We all owe it to each other to observe the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When another driver gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an extremely selfish and careless decision. If you or a family member was hurt as a consequence that decision, you deserve to seek justice in the form of a financial recovery. Car crashes and the injuries that come with them are always unanticipated, and the financial hardships from medical costs and lost wages are sudden and profound. Halvorsen Klote's California, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the horrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | California, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the California, MO roads who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and injure you, the California, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make certain they are held responsible and you collect the best possible compensation you need to heal.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving collisions, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink within the last month. The yearly cost of drunk driving wrecks in the United States totals more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle accident injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed because another person drove drunk in California, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | California, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of more than .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that makes the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a little in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Though it may be encouraging that there are strict penalties for people who drive drunk, criminal penalties don't help you get compensation for your damages. Once in a while, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The California, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you complete compensation for your damages.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in California, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | California, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly liable for your damages pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois both have what are called dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes differ between the two states:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical behavior
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally adequate to show fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurring when they talk
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is relatively liberal in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a bar to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can prove that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability limits for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | California, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will count on the seriousness of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you a complete financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in a disability that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed improvements to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The California, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal skills necessary to deliver you the great compensation that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in California, MO are:
Call HK Law Today
California, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a careless decision, and you do not have to navigate this difficult time by yourself. The California, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in California, MO for their careless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the California, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.